Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 cores on a laptop?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

8 cores on a laptop?

Does such a thing even exist? I've googled around, but haven't found anything that says: YES, OUR LAPTOPS HAVE 8 CORES!!! explicitly.

I've found most high-end laptops armed with an Intel i7, which, I believe, is a quad-core. Am I wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: 8 cores on a laptop?

The new i7 Haswell is still a quad core but from what I heard on Techzilla it's power consumption is suppose to be very low so your laptop battery will last some 30% longer. Never heard of an Octal Core processor but I guess you could set up a mother board with dual quad core processors and have an Octal core machine, not sure why you'd want to do it though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by YourSurrogateGod View Post
    Does such a thing even exist? I've googled around, but haven't found anything that says: YES, OUR LAPTOPS HAVE 8 CORES!!! explicitly.

I've found most high-end laptops armed with an Intel i7, which, I believe, is a quad-core. Am I wrong?
    An i7 quad-core machine will appear to have 8 cores to the OS, due to Intel's hyper-threading.

The only 8-core processors I know of are AMDs, and Samsung's new Exynos chip in international (ie. not US or Canada-bound) Galaxy S4s...

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yeah, the upper level of the mobile Core i7 range is quad core with hyper-threading, the lower end i7s and all i5s are dual core.

Beans

Does such a thing even exist?
    Yes they do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0kxNy1Dmtc

There are more but you have to search for them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    An i7 quad-core machine will appear to have 8 cores to the OS, due to Intel's hyper-threading.
    Aaaah, maybe that's it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Yes they do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0kxNy1Dmtc

There are more but you have to search for them.
    I hate to be a stinker, but it doesn't say terribly explicitly that there are 8 cores in that thing (or am I missing something?)

Beans

I hate to be a stinker, but it doesn't say terribly explicitly that there are 8 cores in that thing (or am I missing something?)
    Well the video heading says 8-core and also mention the xeon cpu which I know does 8-cores.

What do you want, a guy screaming at the beginning of the video 'this is an 8-core laptop'?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Why do you need 8 cores on a laptop? Surely the other components of the computer would bottleneck the CPU's tremendous power (or not so tremendous - power and heat constraints). An 8 core desktop is a different story.

An 8 core mobile CPU would probably use slow cores, resulting in lower speeds in real life use.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Moose is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

8 cores on a laptop is like 3 engines on a pushbike. It's really unnecessary and I don't see why you would want more than 4-6 on a laptop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast