Thread: Ubuntu Linux Security

Beans

Ubuntu Linux Security

This guy has a video interview in Telegraph and my question is will Ubuntu Linux be safe from snooping?

I suspect some will say "Yes, absolutely" but maybe there is something to be said about lack of security once your data leaves the OS and enters into the ISP cables. I'm unsure but would love to learn from you all; Thoughts?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...rd-snowden-why

"Q: Is it possible to put security in place to protect against state surveillance?

A: "You are not even aware of what is possible. The extent of their capabilities is horrifying. We can plant bugs in machines. Once you go on the network, I can identify your machine. You will never be safe whatever protections you put in place.""

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Linux Security

Your ISP can see any data that travels across your internet connection.

You can use a VPN so that all of the data is encrypted which means that your ISP cannot see the content, but then you can be snooped on just as easily by your VPN provider as the data is unencrypted before it leaves their systems.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In my opinion, if you want the security services to take an interest in what you are saying in your emails, then encrypt the things. That will draw attention to the fact that you have something to hide. It has been known for a long, long time that the only sure way of preventing an intrusion from the internet is to not be connected to the internet. That still leaves the problem of preventing the authorities from physically taking the machine apart and reading what is on the hard disk.

It is better to go back to pen and paper. But wait, they can still intercept your snail mail. That has been going on for centuries. Leave anything written down on paper lying around the house or office and someone will read it.

Why, newspaper journalists will even go through your rubbish bins to get information about you and pay someone to photograph you as you go about your business. Or, to listen in on your mobile phone calls. There is a lot of hypocrisy about when it comes to journalists complaining about snooping.

If you are really concerned about state surveillance, then go and live in a log cabin in a large forest. Do not have electricity, Radio, TV, telephone. Nothing like that. Do not have any windows and never leave the cabin.

Gnu/Linux/Ubuntu is not designed to be an OS for gangsters, criminals, paedophiles, terrorists, revolutionaries and such like people. And I do not want it to be an operating system that benefits those kind of people.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; June 10th, 2013 at 03:40 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    In my opinion, if you want the security services to take an interest in what you are saying in your emails, then encrypt the things. That will draw attention to the fact that you have something to hide.
    Or it will simply mean that you exercise your rights. There have been a lot of calls to use encryption in daily life. It's getting there. You see SSL/TLS used more and more, for example with HTTP, SMTP and IMAP. The Ubuntu Forums is one of the few places that fails though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Gnu/Linux/Ubuntu is not designed to be an OS for gangsters, criminals, paedophiles, terrorists, revolutionaries and such like people. And I do not want it to be an operating system that benefits those kind of people.
    Yes, I agree that its benefits should be reserved for tyrants, dictators, and police states. [/sarcasm]

Beans

If you are really concerned about state surveillance, then go and live in a log cabin in a large forest. Do not have electricity, Radio, TV, telephone. Nothing like that. Do not have any windows and never leave the cabin.

Regards.
    In all due respect, you miss the point. I recently was talking about intimate topics online - about a family funeral, siblings finances and breast cancer, why was HIPPA created again? Anyhow

Also, there are other serious implications. My friend asks, with blackmail and the threat of blackmail for things as simple as private Life style choices, your associates, Your Partners, and the like -- how can we trust in the future Local and National Elections, will SCOTUS be autonomous, will Congress retain power, will Legislation be legit and States - will States truly retain power in all their dealings - will Governor's be compromised?

See we didn't know about Tiger Woods and 10 women but Journalist's did - when I saw him on Men's Health it stopped me dead in my track. Something was majorly wrong.

See we didn't know about David Letterman and his interns but someone did.

Anyhow, I just enlightened by smart people than me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i think this might actually also put you on the radar... besides they have satelites...
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Yeah, this is yet another security issue where the OS doesn't matter a piece. The data is being intercepted by the ISPs and companies we're intending to send it to. The bit from the article about bugging machines is scary in a way, and the method would depend on the operating system and may or may not be possible on something that isn't running Windows, but it's actually unrelated to the more common and real threat that people are actually worried about.

Well, there's always steganography, I guess; send lots of pictures of your cat. = )
    ~ I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home. ~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by eopi View Post
    In all due respect, you miss the point. I recently was talking about intimate topics online - about a family funeral, siblings finances and breast cancer, why was HIPPA created again? Anyhow

Also, there are other serious implications. My friend asks, with blackmail and the threat of blackmail for things as simple as private Life style choices, your associates, Your Partners, and the like -- how can we trust in the future Local and National Elections, will SCOTUS be autonomous, will Congress retain power, will Legislation be legit and States - will States truly retain power in all their dealings - will Governor's be compromised?

See we didn't know about Tiger Woods and 10 women but Journalist's did - when I saw him on Men's Health it stopped me dead in my track. Something was majorly wrong.

See we didn't know about David Letterman and his interns but someone did.

Anyhow, I just enlightened by smart people than me.
    The other point is that if the NSA can hack your system, so can China, or any other potentially hostile entity. We cannot trust that our own government will always be benign, or have our (or even the nation's) best interests in mind. We certainly cannot trust a foreign government. In addition, I don't want Linux or any other operating system to be "designed" for governments like China to be able to ferret out those who are promoting freedom so that it can persecute them. I want a system that allows any person on the planet to be safe from the prying eyes of totalitarians, or even worse, mendacious and venal bureaucracies.

"Those who would give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

This has drifted from a discussion about security issues into politics.

Although we have been more tolerant of discussions of politics as it relates to open source, this one has gotten more into a generalized discussion about the intentions of governments.

Thread closed.
    Last edited by QIII; June 11th, 2013 at 09:37 PM.