Greetings all,

First, I'm loving Ubuntu. I took the plunge. No dual-booting and sticking my toe in the pool. I erased all my computers and installed 13.04 on all of them. All was going well, until...

My main desktop PC had a single drive installed (Motherboard SATA Port-1), with the CD on SATA Port-0. All was working great, and I installed and configured software, etc... Today, I purchased a 3TB SATA disk for storage and installed it on SATA Port-2, which was found in GParted. I tinkered around with MS-DOS limits, and finally decided to delete that and make a GPT Partition to do the whole disk in one Extended partition. I noticed it was mounted under MYUSERNAME/Media, which didn't seem correct, since I want this accessible to all users, so I unmounted the disk.

Figuring I'd tinker more later, I shut down. When I powered back up, the system hung just before GRUB would kick in, and went no further. Lost, I pulled the disk data cable off the motherboard, and viola, booted. Got a message to proceed because a drive couldn't be located (duh), but it booted. Removed the reference to the drive in FSTAB, no more error. Reboot, I'm back to a working system with the drive visible in GParted. The only difference is the disk is now in SATA Port-2 instead of SATA Port-1 on the motherboard.

The issue is that if I reconnect the drive to SATA Port-1 on the motherboard, it won't boot again. The disk has to remain in SATA Port-2 for Ubuntu to boot. I'm afraid if I create a new partition now, I may create the issue again, and end up with no way to use the drive on my system, because I'll run out of SATA Ports on the motherboard.

Any ideas from the Guru's?

Thanks!