Thread: Ubuntu & Chromebook

Beans

Question Ubuntu & Chromebook

I have a Samsung Chromebook. I recently downloaded Ubuntu using Crouton, but my home page looks nothing like the Unity homepage I see on all the directions. Is this just a part of Ubunto or what gives? Can I get the standard Unity home page?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu & Chromebook

1. Click the Chrome menu .
    2. Select Settings.
    3. In the "Appearance" section, if the "Show Home button" checkbox is selected, see if the page listed below is the home page you’d like to use.
    4. If the page isn't the home page you'd like to use, click Change and select your preferred page.

If you want to see your home page every time Chrome starts up, make sure the page is listed in your startup preferences under “Open a specific page or set of pages”.
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans

Bashing-On,
    Thanks for the reply. Actually, I have my Chromebook set up so I can switch between Chrome OS and Ubuntu. The chrome home page looks fine, but when I switch to Ubuntu, it's [B][U]THAT home page that looks funny and doesn't look like Unity.

JB

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

jboyes;

I do not run unity for my desk top... thus can not relate directly ... but, there is a setting in chrome to utilize the system (themes) vice the default chrome fonts -> setting ->appearance:
    Use system title bar and borders

might work for ya ...

THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The default browser for Ubuntu is Firefox, so the home page you're talking about is probably the one built into Firefox. If you've switched to Chrome, that's the reason for the difference.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

when you switch over to ubunutu, hit control-alt-refresh (f5 on the chromebook i belive) and this will get you to the correct screen. sounds like you're stuck on a terminal

Beans

Hi jboyes, it is important to realize that Crouton is not Ubuntu; it is an independent project based on Ubuntu code. You should not expect Crouton to be 100% the same as the screenshots you see on ubuntu.com.

One really big difference is that Ubuntu uses Unity as its default desktop environment, whereas Crouton uses Xfce (I believe) which is a better choice of desktop environment for low-end hardware like the Chromebook.

Beans

I think I know what you mean. You've probably installed XFCE and not Unity. The best way to to change to Unity on a Chromebook is to start from scratch (To avoid problems). This video will guide you through installing Linux and choosing what GUI you want. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_MuV...bY6P-pqfGaNpzw. Also Don't upgrade to 13.10 on your Chromebook any-time soon, it will break it. 13.04 is the highest you should go to at the moment.