Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't Boot, even with Repair Disk

Beans

Re: Can't Boot, even with Repair Disk

Hi,
    1. I'm able to change the boot order to CD/DVD.
    2. Can't find any options that refer to Secure Boot. There is a password set to Clear, but it doesn't ask for the password.
    3. Don't think that it's using UEFI.
    4. Didn't check the md5sum of the iso files, but both disks - Ubuntu 13.04 and the Boot Rescue Disk - work on another laptop.
    5. Can't get far enough to do the memtest.
    6. The regular boot from hdd goes to the grub screen, but is frozen. The Ubuntu disk freezes when I get the first purple screen w/ only the one small graphic at the bottom of the page. The rescue disk freezes when I hit a key to choose a language, but if I don't choose and allow it to time out then it goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor and stays there.

Wonder if I need to physically pull the battery to reset the BIOS. All the instructions I found showed how to short two jumpers that would reset the password.

Many thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

lengsfield; Hey...

Quite frankly, this is not making too much sense to me....Machine was booting and was able to boot from the cd drive; and now it is not... bios settings have been reset to default to preclude any changes affecting any "hand off" to the operating system, and still not booting with a known good medium// can not even get to the boot options screen to affect any change in the booting process.........->

OK, let us say the CD drive is at fault. Can you ,or have access to, boot from a usb thumb drive... to boot from... see then ?

just my thought
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans

Hi,

I have been unable to boot in any form.

It recognizes the Ubuntu 13.04 dvd and Rescue Disk, but hangs up immediately. Don't think that it's a fault in the drive, as the behaviour is roughly the same as when it tries to boot from HDD.

I'm not sure that've actually reset the BIOS. I shorted the jumpers, but that's supposed to clear the password. I hit the reset to defaults, but that doesn't mean that it actually happened. I may explore removing the battery, but that involves a fair bit of disassembly.

Other ideas? Can I flash the BIOS from a disk or USB if I can't boot?

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

lengsfield

Flashing Bios: A means of last resort, if it ain't broke, please do not fix it .. To directly answer your question, yes one may flash the bios. There exist a couple of avenues to do so. Bear in mind, changing bios may introduce new problems but if needed, it is needed. make sure it is needed ! The easy method is if you have a utility in your bios to do the update for you;
    else next is a utility within Windows to make the update;
    else one must go to the bios manufacturer, download the bios update file, make up a DOS boot disk, combine on that disk the new bios file with a flashing utility -> can be done, many prefer this ...you have control on what version and how it gets installed; not recommended for a novice. One should have experience with manipulating bios, building system files, and familiar with the command line before attempting. If you make a mistake,and your mainboard's bios is not on-chip, throw that computer in the trash as there may be no way to burn that eprom. Unless you know what you are doing.... DO NOT go there.

If you know your liveDVD is good,
    if you are certain your drive is good,
    And you do not boot to the grub menu(if you can get to the grub menu then other measures may be looked at);

Then all that is left is bios... it can do no harm in the long term to make adjustments to the superficial setting in bios, so long as clock rates are not tampered with, one may always reset the values back to default. If you have not done so yet, get the manual for your machine's bios. Read and heed... Unless some one is running the exact same machine with that same version of bios, none can advise how to set it up precisely.

Bottom line: If you can not boot the DVD to grub... check the settings in bios, read the manual to know what the setting affect.

my thought, my opinion ..yours may vary

THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12