Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best AV Program for Linux?

Beans

Post Best AV Program for Linux?

I understand you dont really "need" an AV program for linux, but what if you do get a virus, how will you know? You wont.

Anyways, I have ClamAV with the ClamTK GUI installed on my Ubuntu 13.04 PC however is it really an Anti virus program or does it just scan directories? If it only scan directories what is another COMPLETELY free AV program for ubuntu?

Re: Best AV Program for Linux?

Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Here is a scanner for you:

#! /bin/bash
    echo Super Virus Scanner
    echo Copyright Reserved GPL Version 2 or later, 2013.
    sleep 1
    echo Updating...
    sleep 5
    echo Thinking...
    sleep 3
    echo Scanning...
    sleep 30
    echo Almost done...
    sleep 30
    echo Drum roll...
    sleep 5
    echo No viruses found!
    sleep 1
    echo Done.

Beans

Double trouble...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I haven't used it for a long time and had to go looking for an install of ClamTK virus scanner in other distos and releases.I found a copy of one installed in Ubuntu 10.04 that will look dated to you. To search inside of directories you have to tell it to scan recursively (everything in the directory and folders).

See the provided Screeny below:

Edit: hmm. looks like I used it not that long ago. I didn't remember, but probably in preparation of backing up my data before removing Ubuntu 10.04, I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mikodo; June 9th, 2013 at 10:11 AM.
    One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity:"Knowing what one should do and doing differently"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have ClamAV with the ClamTK GUI installed on my Ubuntu 13.04 PC however is it really an Anti virus program or does it just scan directories?
    That's what all AV programs for linux do.
    They just scan files,folders, and directories for viruses.

It doesn't provide firewall and shields and stuff like that, because those functions are already built into the system.

The real difference between AV programs in linux isn't their features or functions, but it is the accuracy of detection.
    Some are good, like I've read about BitDefender, and some are not so good, like clamtk; which has a known history of false positives.

Anyway, the chances of a virus infecting your linux system are pretty remote.
    And AV programs are built to read windows-built viruses, as there are so many, and not linux-based viruses which are so few.
    It's probably something to be seen as to whether or not they could even read a linux virus.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by altirisx View Post
    I understand you dont really "need" an AV program for linux, but what if you do get a virus, how will you know? You wont.
    You won't even with an anti-virus program, squire.

Anti-virus companies don't keep a team of Linux virus experts on their payroll for the eventuality that there will be a Linux virus - they'd be paying $60,000 a person per year, for no return (there have been no Linux viruses for several years now). As a result, anti-virus programs don't detect Linux viruses, even when one comes out eventually.

Whenever a Linux virus comes out, it doesn't propogate very far. I doubt anyone on Ubuntu Forums has ever had a Linux virus.

You're just as safe without anti-virus, as with one*. Therefore, don't bother.

*I'd probably even say the same thing about Windows, but for a different reason: Even with anti-malware software, on Windows you'll never be able to get rid of all the malware except by erasing your hard disk. There's more malware written for Windows every day than there is detected by the world's anti-virus companies. Every day, the concept of "buy this anti-virus package and you'll be safe" gets more and more stupid.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

HermanAB: The "Super Virus Scanner" sounds perfect. Are there any volunteers who will package it up and put it in the Software Center?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi all,

Isn't it worth mentioning that although there is relatively little risk to your own system, being able to scan files that you share with Windows users is useful so you don't inadvertently spread a virus, even if it can't affect you?

Also, a few viruses run with wine... this thread is worth reading, even just for a laugh - someone ran a virus in wine just for the hell of it and filled his home folder with other viruses .

So, I guess you won't mess up your whole system, but perhaps you could lose some data by being careless?

Anyone know whether opening a spreadsheet that contains a virus in Excel using wine would theoretically make your home directory vulnerable?

Feathers

Beans

So, what AV would any one on here recommend ? I have a virus on this computer, think it came in via win8 on an auto update, which were turned off.................
    Yes much and all as I hate win I need it for photo editing, gimp just ain't up to doing what I want, + ViewNX2 and CaptureNX2 don't run under ubuntu, see I NEED win , uh

Dave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast