Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black screen when pressing Install Ubuntu or Try Ubuntu without installing

Beans

Unhappy Black screen when pressing Install Ubuntu or Try Ubuntu without installing

Hello all,

I am trying to get Ubuntu 12.04 onto my computer and when I boot up the LiveUSB (don't have a CD drive), I can see the GRUB boot screen but it doesn't look like it does here:

Anyways, when I click on it, it just goes to a completely blank screen. No sound or anything. I have tried the acpi=off method and several others. None have worked. I have also tried the wubi install. Here are my specs:

Motherboard MSI MS-7786
    RAM 16 GB
    OS (currently) Windows 8 Enterprise 64 Bit
    Processor AMD A8-3870 (3.8 GHz)

Yeah, it's custom built.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Black screen when pressing Install Ubuntu or Try Ubuntu without installing

GeekyGamer14; Hi !

One gets that screen (or similar) IF one depresses a key as soon as bios screen clears ->language screen (escape key accepts defaults) and the next screen is as you have posted.
    From the booted desk top when one activates the "install" icon, the system goes direct to the installer.

In that "boot options" screen try the f6 option, and choose "nomodeset"; see if that boots ya to the "try ubuntu" desktop, then play with ubuntu to insure all devices function.

edit: A delayed hearty Welcome to the forum.

hope this helps

Last edited by Bashing-om; June 9th, 2013 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Welcome !
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Have you clicked on, check CD for defects?
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Yes I have, and nothing but a blank screen, and I tried re-downloading the ISO many times.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    GeekyGamer14; Hi !

One gets that screen (or similar) IF one depresses a key as soon as bios screen clears ->language screen (escape key accepts defaults) and the next screen is as you have posted.
    From the booted desk top when one activates the "install" icon, the system goes direct to the installer.

In that "boot options" screen try the f6 option, and choose "nomodeset"; see if that boots ya to the "try ubuntu" desktop, then play with ubuntu to insure all devices function.

edit: A delayed hearty Welcome to the forum.

hope this helps

As I said here:

Quote Originally Posted by GeekyGamer14 View Post
    ...it doesn't look like it does here: ...
    I don't get anything other than Install Ubuntu, Try Ubuntu without installing, or Check disk for defects (Tried that). So that above is what I don't have.

Beans
    Distro

GeekyGamer14;
    Certainly not the norm.
    What machine - and the machines specs - are you attempting to install what version/distro on ? Perhaps we can advise better with additional info ?

still try'n to help

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    GeekyGamer14;
    Certainly not the norm.
    What machine - and the machines specs - are you attempting to install what version/distro on ? Perhaps we can advise better with additional info ?

still try'n to help

Custom built, specs up top, version 12.04 AMD64

Beans
    Distro

GeekyGamer14;

Should be smooth as silk, your system is very similar to what I am running;
    Windows_8 -> we looking at secure boot and/or UEFI as factors preventing booting other operating systems ?
    Old ATI card ? switchable graphics cards ? dual graphics cards ?

where there are solutions there are no problems

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Wow, I am dumb... I always boot into my boot options to make sure it boots into the LiveUSB. There were my hard drives and two other options:

UEFI: SMI USB STICK

and

SMI USB STICK.

I was choosing UEFI. I need to legacy boot... I FIXED IT! I'm closing the thread now.

Beans

Nevermind, guess I can't close my own thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast