Thread: MySQL: which one needed?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

MySQL: which one needed?

Installing a program for our church's library. Program calls for MySQL to be installed. This will all be on one machine and one machine only. Question: do I need to Install MySQL server or client, or both?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: MySQL: which one needed?

It will be MySQL server that's needed, but installing this installs the client as well.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mysql-server
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I installed server through the software center: I assumke that client was also installed then?

Beans

If you can type "mysql" at the command prompt and not get an error in response, then the client is installed. Note that if you intend to talk the to MySQL database with PHP, you need make sure the php5-mysql package is installed as well.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    Installing a program for our church's library. Program calls for MySQL to be installed. This will all be on one machine and one machine only. Question: do I need to Install MySQL server or client, or both?
    I hope I'm not being too curious in asking, what is the program that you're installing for your church's library?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rewyllys View Post
    I hope I'm not being too curious in asking, what is the program that you're installing for your church's library?
    Right now, I am looking at KOHA. This is a small library: maybe 300 books. I have been looking around and that was one I thought might work. If anyone has a better idea, let me hear it.

Also, I need to install Sorl. Is there a command line for that or do I need to d-l that .tar file and do it that way?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think you mean Solr...
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install solr-common
    You can search for packages available in the repositories using the Ubuntu package database....
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    Right now, I am looking at KOHA. This is a small library: maybe 300 books. I have been looking around and that was one I thought might work. If anyone has a better idea, let me hear it.

Also, I need to install Sorl. Is there a command line for that or do I need to d-l that .tar file and do it that way?
    Thanks for the information. KOHA looks interesting.

BTW, have you looked for possible answers to your MySQL question on the Koha Community Website?