Thread: Ubuntu v12.04.2 Gnome Classic - why can't I tweak colors?

Beans

Thumbs down Ubuntu v12.04.2 Gnome Classic - why can't I tweak colors?

I've been getting frustrated, trying to make the Gnome "Classic" look like less of an eye-sore, since I installed Ubuntu v12.04.2 LTS. Sure, it's got 3 or 4 available themes - but, they're virtually identical. The only variation seems to be that they allowed some light blue to creep in via the title bars in one or two of them. I searched & searched, but can't find any way of adjusting the colors! The default off-white is an EYE-SORE! I'd like to be able to make (at minimum) the same types of color adjustments I was able to make under Gnome v2... They call this an "upgrade"? Sure, lost features are a great upgrade, let me tell ya'. I've even scoured the Synaptics repositories, looking for utility programs to do what Gnome "Classic" has been stripped of the capability of doing. Or, is this (removing the ability to select/adjust colors) just a dodge to force people into the menu-less Unity box? Or, alternatively, is the "upgraded" linux kernel (v3.x) lacking facility for managing colors, and that's why that capability's been stripped out of the DE's?

Okay, I'm back. I feel much better now that I've vented a little. (At least I didn't swear, right? Or, fill the post with character strings along the lines of "^#$%^!@!!!".)

Seriously, folks... Can anybody tell me how to select/control which colors get used in Gnome "Classic"?
    Thanks in advance.
    "That's my motto - a place for everything, and everything all over the place!"
    -- From an old comic I once saw.--

Beans

Re: Ubuntu v12.04.2 Gnome Classic - why can't I tweak colors?

Quote Originally Posted by scruffyeagle View Post
    ... is the "upgraded" linux kernel (v3.x) lacking facility for managing colors, and that's why that capability's been stripped out of the DE's?
    I don't think that's a reason, because other flavors using the same kernel allow as much customization of colors as previously possible. I don't use GNOME Classic and can't comment further.

Beans

I've had good luck with the Zukitwo themes shown here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pr...eClassicTweaks

The most popular among my peers is "Zukitwo-Dark".

Beans

Thanks, kansasnoob! I've bookmarked the page, for finding when I go use the v12 OS.

I just discovered an OT link posted by "Frogs Hair" in another thread, which you might be interested in - so, I came back to edit.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/09/custo...ors-using.html

Another brief edit:
    One of those pages suggested doing an Alt-Right-Click to be able to edit the panel. That didn't work, on my Gnome Classic.
    Last edited by scruffyeagle; June 10th, 2013 at 09:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by scruffyeagle View Post
    One of those pages suggested doing an Alt-Right-Click to be able to edit the panel. That didn't work, on my Gnome Classic.
    Try Super + Right click, or Alt + Super + Right click.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    Try Super + Right click, or Alt + Super + Right click.
    +1!

If you read down just a bit here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pr...nels_and_Menus

You'll see;

Note: While this isn't written with Compiz in mind you should know if you're using 'gnome-panel' in a standard Gnome classic session you'll need to press both the Alt & Super keys at the same time while right-clicking on the panel/applet you wish to edit, move, or remove. (The Super key is typically the one with the Windows logo).
    The Precise log-in options include both Gnome Classic and Gnome Classic (no effects). The prior uses the Compiz window manager while the latter uses the Metacity window manager. That's why my original Forum's thread was titled 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks .

Our rush to wikify almost everything resulted in some improper translation

Beans

kansasnoob: Thanks for clarifying that for me, explaining Classic vs. Classic (no effects). Now, I understand.

Edited:
    I've got access to panel editing now. Thanks!
    Last edited by scruffyeagle; June 13th, 2013 at 05:45 AM.