Thread: 13.04, no option to install alongside Win7

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 13.04, no option to install alongside Win7

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa1111 View Post
    This all seems a bit silly.. (im just annoyed) lol
    I mean.. a month ago I installed Ubuntu 13.04 on a dell laptop with WIn7 (dual boot)
    I got the option.. "Install Ubuntu 13.04 alongside Windows 7", which I used, and everything worked flawlessly.

I'm now attempting to install 13.04 on another dell laptop with win7 -dual boot again.. and I get only this
    Attachment 244078

I know I can choose "Something else" and manually resize and change partitions,
    but honestly.. I've never had much luck with dual boot installs using that method. lol :/
    Everytime I let ubuntu do it though, it seems to work fine.
    If it was my computer I'd just wipe it, but is not mine.

Here is what my partitions look like
    . Attachment 244080

Marks Phelps confused me. :/ lol

Is there a simple way around this without f'n everything up..er what? Thanks.
    This generally happens if the whole HDD is NTFS or all of its partitions are NTFS. If you have a reasonable amount of free space (Unallocated Space) then Ubiquity will give you a choice to 'Install alongside Ubuntu'. If not then you will get an option to 'replace windows'.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thanks guys, I appreciate the answers.
    I ended up getting it to work by using the windows disk management tool to allocate the space/partition first,
    Then going back into the USB drive to install Ubuntu. I did run into a little "issue" where I wasnt able to create a swap file..
    and Im honestly not sure if that will harm me (this computer) or not.. But both OS's boot up, for the time being. lol
    5.5 GB's Free Ubuntu-One Cloud Storage~
    Click Here

Beans
    Distro

ohh, After I did free up some unallocated space and tried again... It still didnt give me the option. :/ lol

Now i just realized that if Im running the 13.04 usb drive (live) , I connect fine to wireless..
    But as soon as I boot into the actual ubuntu partition... no wifi and drivers wont activate. lol :/
    Click Here

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    This generally happens if the whole HDD is NTFS or all of its partitions are NTFS. If you have a reasonable amount of free space (Unallocated Space) then Ubiquity will give you a choice to 'Install alongside Ubuntu'. If not then you will get an option to 'replace windows'.
    Hmm, After I went into the win. disk management tool and freed up some (unallocated) space, I freed up half of the HDD to put Ubuntu on... So 150+ GB or so should be sufficient, right? I still didnt get any new options though.

Seriously thinking about trying to talk them into no windows on this thing..
    But.. I can't even get my wireless driver to work on the actual install. lol

Siighh
    Click Here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

150GB should be okay. If I were you, I would
    20GB for '/'
    2GB SWAP
    128GB for '/home'

Generally with newer PC's with 4GB or more RAM SWAP is rarely used. However, it is recommended that you have some SWAP.

If you can tell us what Wireless you have then perhaps we can help.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    150GB should be okay. If I were you, I would
    20GB for '/'
    2GB SWAP
    128GB for '/home'

Generally with newer PC's with 4GB or more RAM SWAP is rarely used. However, it is recommended that you have some SWAP.

If you can tell us what Wireless you have then perhaps we can help.

That does sound like good advice. Thank you fantab.
    The machine in question doesn't have 4gb ram, but it does have 3GB RAM.
    Yeah, I would feel more comfortable if I knew there was at least some SWAP. lol

I'm stop back here when I get that machine back on my lap and see whats up with the wireless thing. I appreciate ya.
    Click Here

Beans
    Distro

Ugh. I don't understand how it activates and uses the driver fine via live session, but as soon as I get to the actual install , It refuses to work.

Via Live session~ Here is the driver activated and working. (it's connected to wifi)

Now here we are at the actual install, I click the driver to activate it, and it just goes back to "Do not use the device"-
    and WiFi is non-existent.

Any ideas?
    Click Here

Beans
    Distro

Eh , I got it all worked out in the end.
    All worked out for the best (they let me remove windows completely). lol Thanks guys.
    Click Here

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa1111 View Post
    Eh , I got it all worked out in the end.
    Hi Rasa1111 !

Saw you on the forums after quite a long time . Not sure you were away or I just couldn't catch the pleasant coincidence.

Anyway, I was eager to answer a couple of your questions.

Yeah, I would feel more comfortable if I knew there was at least some SWAP. lol
    As far as I know, a swap 'file' gets created automatically if you don't have a swap 'partition'. You can confirm this with the command -
    Code:
    cat /proc/swaps
    Usually you'll see something like this in the output -
    Code:
    Filename				Type		Size	Used	Priority
    /dev/zram0                              partition	1975292	714428	100
    /dev/sda5                               partition	4341756	13964	-1
    Here, 'zram0' is a virtual swap area within the RAM, and I believe it is created in every Ubuntu installation in current versions. It's size is about half the available RAM.

The second one is an actual swap partition. In your case, it may be a file instead of a partition.

Your other (now solved) issue with wireless -
    Based on info on this page : http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
    ..the device in question (BCM4312) works with both the proprietary driver you installed (wl) and the native one (b43). However, it is recommended to use the native one (b43) wherever possible as it 'usually' delivers better performance.

It needs a proprietary firmware to work and that's the reason why it can't work unless you manually install it. Fortunately, installing it is as easy as installing the "linux-firmware-nonfree" package :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
    Or, if the system has no internet connection, download it manually from here > copy to the Ubuntu system > double-click to install.

But, as you may also agree, "don't fix it if it ain't broken !", lol !

If you wish or need to try the b43 driver for the device (in case the wl driver performs poorly), you will need to purge the proprietary driver -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernel-source broadcom-sta-common broadcom-sta-source
    ..before or after installing the linux-firmware-nonfree package.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Hello Varunendra!
    Thanks soo much for the great reply!

I was also under the impression that the swap file would be created automatically, at least that's what I remember. lol
    But that time it did not, and it warned me about there beiing no swap partition, and then asked if I wanted to proceed anyway.
    But it didnt ask if I wanted it to create one. O_o

Your other (now solved) issue with wireless -
    Based on info on this page : http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
    ..the device in question (BCM4312) works with both the proprietary driver you installed (wl) and the native one (b43). However, it is recommended to use the native one (b43) wherever possible as it 'usually' delivers better performance.

It needs a proprietary firmware to work and that's the reason why it can't work unless you manually install it. Fortunately, installing it is as easy as installing the "linux-firmware-nonfree" package :
    Code:

sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
    Or, if the system has no internet connection, download it manually from here > copy to the Ubuntu system > double-click to install.

But, as you may also agree, "don't fix it if it ain't broken !", lol !

If you wish or need to try the b43 driver for the device (in case the wl driver performs poorly), you will need to purge the proprietary driver -
    Code:

sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernel-source broadcom-sta-common broadcom-sta-source
    ..before or after installing the linux-firmware-nonfree package.
    Ohh Thank you! That's great to know for future reference.
    You rock, many thanks for taking your time to enlighten me!

...and on a positive note: I did the same procedure tonight on another laptop (HP G62)- Dual boot 13.04 with Win7,
    and it went without a hitch like nomal. Gave me the "Install alongside win 7" option and it all went smoothly. <3
    Click Here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast