Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, debian based systems can't detect Windows Vista

Beans

Re: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, debian based systems can't detect Windows Vista

Thanks. Vista works, only thing to do is force grub to detect it. Don't know why, but it still doesen't work when i do update-grub.

Beans
    Hidden!

What do you mean by "Vista works, only thing to do is force grub to detect it"?

How do you boot it? And why is that not good enough?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You have two versions of Ubuntu 12.04.2. One on sdf and another on sdg. which one do you want to be in control of the Grub boot menu?

If it is 12.04.2 on sdf then boot into it and run

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sdf
    If it is 12.04.2 on sdg then boot into it and run

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sdg
    It is the second command that install Grub into the MBR. I sometimes find that although update-grub finds the other OS it does not always get shown in the Grub menu until I run the second command. So, try doing that.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I have to boot it by hitting F8 and choosing disk that it is installed on because grub doesen't detect it (even when i use sudo update-grub, it sees it only during update-grub, but after reboot not) and it is not present on purple boot screen from grub (also the same thing is with blue grub from kubuntu).

Beans

Ok, will check it. Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You have a lot of kernels. The new sub-menu usually eliminates the problem, but the box that the menus appear in only shows so many lines. Often those with a lot of systems need to scroll down to find other installs.
    If you have a really tiny arrow on the right side of the grub menu box then you have more entries.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by firekage View Post
    I have to boot it by hitting F8 and choosing disk that it is installed on because grub doesen't detect it (even when i use sudo update-grub, it sees it only during update-grub, but after reboot not) and it is not present on purple boot screen from grub (also the same thing is with blue grub from kubuntu).
    I'm somewhat stupid (lol!) so hopefully the experts here will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the problem has to do with mapping because you are trying to boot Windows Vista which is on a separate HDD than your Ubuntu OS. If someone who has provided the solution thinks that the 'update-grub' will work when you have to factor in both drives, then I'm very interested because I wonder how that works!

You posted:

/dev/sdc1* - Windows Vista
    /dev/sdf1* - Ubuntu

So, two different drives here and I think you need to do something further than just run the update-grub command???????? Help?!? I am not sure.

Something to do with 'drivemap?'

I was wondering if you have to edit the file
    /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    but I'm not sure what to do there. Maybe someone can comment? This also interests me because if I ever buy a solid state drive (SSD), I think I'd want Windows and Linux on separate drives.

P.S. I wonder if sudodus was on the right track in post #12. But, I don't know enough about grub2 and editing it so I'm just speculating/guessing.
    Last edited by ubunt72; June 22nd, 2013 at 02:59 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

... or oldfred was on the right track in post #26?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    You have a lot of kernels. The new sub-menu usually eliminates the problem, but the box that the menus appear in only shows so many lines. Often those with a lot of systems need to scroll down to find other installs.
    If you have a really tiny arrow on the right side of the grub menu box then you have more entries.
    Well...i didn't mention that because i though that it is out of the question. Here is picture with my grub after run "update-grub" and reboot ot the system that "update-grub" was done, the same thing happens with ubuntu and kubuntu.

Sorry for quality of the picture but...my digital cam broken and it was made by using phone.

As you can see, there are only 4 entries:

- 2 with ubuntu (one with kernel and one with revocery mode)
    -previous linux version
    -Slackware 13.37

Grub can't detect Vista, Kubuntu and Slackware 14 (i fixed their bootloader: Vista, as you mentioned earlier, by installing lilo on it, Kubuntu from live-cd installing his grub, and Slackware 14 by installing again lilo on it, i can boot to all of them by hitting F8 - they are on separate disk - but they are not present on the list).

Forget to mention: i have 2 laptops with Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Vista, Slackware and on them, while there is only one hard disk drive with few partitions, all these systems are being found by grub when i run update-grub. Here, on my desktop, with 6 or 7 drivers it is not.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by firekage; June 22nd, 2013 at 09:23 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    You have two versions of Ubuntu 12.04.2. One on sdf and another on sdg. which one do you want to be in control of the Grub boot menu?

If it is 12.04.2 on sdf then boot into it and run

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sdf
    If it is 12.04.2 on sdg then boot into it and run

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sdg
    It is the second command that install Grub into the MBR. I sometimes find that although update-grub finds the other OS it does not always get shown in the Grub menu until I run the second command. So, try doing that.

Regards.
    I tried this - doesen't work in my case. Thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast