Thread: Unity Desktop without compiz? Possible?

Beans

Unity Desktop without compiz? Possible?

Fine. I have an old laptop about 7 years old and it sucks with Windows XP. So, I decided to give Ubuntu 12.04 a try. Hey. It's fast, I mean with Gnome classic. I can tell that my machine does not have very good support for opengl. My monitor's refresh rate is 59hz, but running glxgears I found that it only runs about 30fps. That is pretty slow. Note: It is quite unstable too. Last time it runs about 30fps and now about 58fps. Strange. But in anyway, unity does not work well on my desktop. It has been the prettiest desktop I have ever used. Too bad it needs opengl, compiz, and more to work well. I am very positive that my laptop with only 1.6 ghz of cpu power cannot run unity smoothly. Any help? I love unity very much. Compiz slows down thing a lot. If I can use metacity to replace compiz in unity, it will be perfect!

Beans

Re: Unity Desktop without compiz? Possible?

Beans

Sorry I forgot to mention that unity 2d also works bad. I sacrificed for my desktop's appearance and go for unity 2d that runs metacity but it also works slowly. Not as fast as LXDE, or even Gnome Classic. Maybe my only option is to use LXDE, and Docky at the left... to simulate the desktop.
    Last edited by AngJinhang; June 8th, 2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: wrong spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Unity 3D is one of Compiz's plugins, so you can't run Unity without Compiz. The alternative, as mentioned, is Unity 2D, which runs on Metacity

But seriously, if your computer runs badly even with Unity 2D, then I suggest you go with a lighter DE, like Xfce or LXDE.

How much ram does your computer have? Perhaps increasing the ram would help you.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

I use LXDE at the time. it is super fast on my computer and yes, very stable!