Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: btrfs would not install on USB hard drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: btrfs would not install on USB hard drive

I cannot move one snapshot to another system.

Any suggestions?

eddit:

Or .. how do I enable user sharing ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

May I make an obvious but easily forgotten suggestion? You may have not forgotten at all but did you make the folder and all that is in it read/write by all?

I use gksudo nautilus and then change the permissions to the folders. I had to do this when I put in this second hard drive that I was going to use mainly as a data partition. Once I copied the folders from my old HD over to the new drive I had to change the permissions before I could write to any of the documents from another partition.

Well, I confirmed that Ubiquity fails to re-install Ubuntu on a btrfs partition unless the partition is formatted as part of the re-install. Ubiquity does not ask for the user details unless the partition is marked to be formatted. It then crashes at the point of creating user. So, I guess that Ubiquity is not so good at reading btrfs partitions. Just like grub os-prober.

I have also noticed that the partitioner recognises that a partition is a btrfs type but it does not know how much space is used (unknown).

And so we live.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    May I make an obvious but easily forgotten suggestion? You may have not forgotten at all but did you make the folder and all that is in it read/write by all?
    Tried samba and it is not being too friendly at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Tried samba and it is not being too friendly at all.

Edit:

I think I really messed it up by not setting the shares. Lots to learn.. I was at least able to change the name .

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    @graham,

I got about this "" close to copying the @snapshot file .. but I keep getting errors with special files. There is something I am not doing right here with permission settings. All seems to go well when all of a sudden I get the error "can't copy special file" which is part of the @apt-snapshot folder. Perhaps this file has a locked in format that will not allow for compression or moving/copying. I even set the smb.conf file in [global settings] to allow .

I don't know .. any strings you know off hand ?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I must confess that my last attempt was nothing but lame. I used this 32GB new ver 3.0 USB Flash Drive but it has a firmware widget in it. I tried to erase it. It is 1kb big . geesh .. but Iv'e not given up!! Iv'e been up to my elbows with the funky broadcom blacklists that has really pi$$ed me off on some production machines.

Anyways .. first things first .. i am going to take one of my persistent installs and try to convert it to btrfs. The best usb flash to use is Dane brand. Eveything else (kingston especially) is no match .

I just wanted to append this message and do some house keeping. I had aquired a Transcend 32 GB USB Flash Drive ver 3.0. It is backwards compatible and runs on Ver 2.0 and makes it appear that all my old PCs have the speed of a Quad core.!! I put Ubuntu on it and it is 4 times faster that my WD 1.5 TB SATA II.

just saying ...

awesome time saver...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123