View Poll Results: Do you host your own mail server?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

4 22.22%
  • no

14 77.78%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you host your own mail server at home?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Do you host your own mail server at home?

Linux desktops very often run sendmail or postfix or exim or dovecot or some such mail server to handle internal system mail.

But, I suspect you're asking about the pro's and con's of standing up a distinct piece of hardware as a server handling mail for a domain you own. I don't see the value in that. Too much work and hassle and staying on top of security issues. In the end, it's the same mail you'd send or get via Gmail or whoever.

Beans

I have a server that does literally everything else besides mail. File, print, backup, web, video surveillance, ownCloud, but no mail here...
    HOW TO - Set up video surveillance with "Motion"

Buying a Lenovo? Do your research first!
    Some Lenovos have a whitelisted BIOS which prevents you from changing the wifi card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    I have a mail server running on my VPS, but it's mostly to provide mail about updates and from my contact form on my website.
    Same here, it's only there so the server can get in touch with me. I've got the mail server on my NAS at home set up for the same reason. All my personal mail goes through gmail.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I used to have a mail server on my box as an experiment, basically a convoluted way to use my Gmail accounts via the command line - using programs like mail, mailx, mutt. Of course, I'm not doing that anymore - Gmail is used via browser easily. But it was an interesting thing to do, learned a lot by it.
    Last edited by t0p; June 9th, 2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: correcting a mistake
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4
    blog photoblog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've been running my own email server from home for three years now. As others have said, make sure you don't set yourself up with an open relay.

My setup started as a fairly "standard" postfix/amavis/clamav/spamassassin combination. Over the years I've also added monitoring with fail2ban and some custom policy and content filters.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Over the years I've also added monitoring with fail2ban and some custom policy and content filters.
    IMO running any kind of internet-facing server without fail2ban or denyhosts is mental. If nothing else it stops the script kiddies from spamming up your logs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12