Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lack of desktop environments in one system

Beans
    Hidden!

Lack of desktop environments in one system

At one point I was using both Linux Mint and Ubuntu on one computer, and I noticed that with Ubuntu, there was Unity, and all of the other desktop environments (e.g. KDE, LXDE, Xfce) were within the derivatives; however, Linux Mint comes pre-installed with Cinnamon, GNOME, KDE, MATE and Xfce in one system.

Why cannot Ubuntu come with GNOME, KDE, LXDE, Unity, Xfce, etc. so that Ubuntu users could have the choice in future?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Lack of desktop environments in one system

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Not a support request.

It's done this way to keep the size of the OS download low.

There's nothing to stop you installing any DE you want on a normal Ubuntu installation.

Also the more different DE's you have on the same system the higher the chance of them conflicting with each other. Even if you could download Ubuntu with all the DE's installed most people wouldn't use it as most people only tend to use one DE.
    Last edited by Cheesemill; August 24th, 2013 at 01:29 PM.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!

Its easy to add the different desktops to you current install. For Xubuntu, lubuntu and gnome-classic:

Open a terminal and enter:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lxde xfce4 xfce4-goodies gnome-panel
    And choose your desktop at login.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Andrew Upton View Post
    ... however, Linux Mint comes pre-installed with Cinnamon, GNOME, KDE, MATE and Xfce in one system. ...
    Are you absolutely sure about this?
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Are you absolutely sure about this?
    +1 to this.

I've just been to the Mint download page and you have to chooses which DE you want when you download.
    What makes this any different from the way Ubuntu does things?
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There's so much wrong in the original post.

Linux Mint does not have all those different desktops preinstalled. Each copy of Mint comes with one desktop. You can install others after you've installed the base system.

Ubuntu comes with one desktop. You can install others after you've installed the base system.

The only difference is that you can only install Mate or Cinnamon on Ubuntu by using PPAs (they are not in the regular repositories), and it's very nearly impossible to get Unity to work on Linux Mint.

Linux Mint's ability to install different desktops comes directly from Ubuntu. And, to give credit where it's due, Ubuntu got it from Debian.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

Please also think about the word "environment." Unity is not a desktop environment. It is a User Interface. It runs on the Gnome 3 desktop environment. It does not use the Gnome 3 UI called Gnome 3 shell.

From the beginning a decision was taken that Ubuntu would be built upon Debian Linux and use the Gnome DE. That decision has not changed. And because this is Open Source Software those who would like to use other desktop environments are able to do that. So, we have Kubuntu (KDE), Xubuntu (Xfce), Lubuntu (Lxde) and also Ubuntu Gnome which uses Gnome 3 shell. And then there are others that are only slightly related to Ubuntu, such as Linux Mint.

Ubuntu could come with all those options that you wish but it would take a lot of development work to bring it about and to maintain. Someone has to do the work.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Linux Mint comes pre-installed with Cinnamon, GNOME, KDE, MATE and Xfce in one system.
    I wouldn't want to explore the application menus will all those duplicated applications.

Why cannot Ubuntu come with GNOME, KDE, LXDE, Unity, Xfce, etc. so that Ubuntu users could have the choice in future?
    Although Canonical provides the infrastructure and some resources to the various flavours I suspect that they really want us all to be using Ubuntu (Unity) so why would they provide alternative DEs all on one installation DVD?. I'm pretty certain that the flavours very much wish to preserve their own identity especially Kubuntu which has a commercial relationship with Blue Systems.
    Last edited by PaulW2U; August 24th, 2013 at 03:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    I wouldn't want to explore the application menus will all those duplicated applications.

Although Canonical provides the infrastructure and some resources to the various flavours I suspect that they really want us all to be using Ubuntu (Unity) so why would they provide alternative DEs all on one installation DVD?. I'm pretty certain that the flavours very much wish to preserve their own identity especially Kubuntu which has a commercial relationship with Blue Systems.

Well if in doubt, you could always install different desktop environments through the Terminal, so that you have your choice straight away when you boot up in future.

To be perfectly honest, Canonical does not provide 100% development for the Ubuntu derivatives: they develop and support them, but the specific communities do most of the work on the systems. Blue Systems do development for most derivatives that use the KDE desktop environment. Canonical provides Unity, but they previously provided GNOME; many feel that Canonical are trying to compare themselves to Apple, but I am a fan of Unity, so I am probably not the right person to say.
    Last edited by Jonathan Andrew Upton; August 24th, 2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Error in replying to quotes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Choice isn't always a great or easy thing.
    Look at all the threads and posts on whether or not someone should run 32-bit vs 64-bit.
    And then imagine how bad it would be if you were given more arch choices.

And besides, why make just Ubuntu offer choices, why not make Xubuntu offer KDE, or Lubuntu offer Gnome?
    Those distros are going to exist separate from Ubuntu regardless of whether or not Ubuntu gives an option to select a desktop, so why not make them follow suit.

Whether you like Unity or not, only coming with Unity shows they have confidence in it.
    It's hard for me to think others who offer choices have that conviction.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast