Thread: Wine - error - no package header

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Wine - error - no package header

Resolution:
    tracking down the error messages I found two files that seem to be incomplete or corrupted
    /var/lib/apt/lists
    ubuntu-ashisuto.ubuntulinux.jp_ubuntu_dists_raring-updates_universe_binary-i386_Packages
    ubuntu-ashisuto.ubuntulinux.jp_ubuntu_dists_raring-security_main_binary-i386_Packages

I changed the name of the two files and then was able to run apt-get purge wine. This seems to have clear the system. The error icon is gone, and I'm able to run apt-get, synaptic, and software center.

I am also changing my source server.

Original problem:

Hi: I tried to install Wine on 13.04 using synaptic and got an incomplete install. Synaptic keeps trying to complete the installation and generates the following error:

E: Encountered a section with no Package: header,
    E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/ubuntu-ashisuto.ubuntulinux.jp_ubuntu_dists_raring-updates_universe_binary-i386_Packages,
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Notice says this is serious and to report it, I don't really know where to report this so could someone send this to the people who need to know.

This has knocked out both synaptic and software center, neither will run. I tried to remove Wine with apt-get but that won't run either. Any suggestions on how to clear my system?

Thanks
    Last edited by Loki*PI; June 8th, 2013 at 03:26 AM. Reason: correcting text