Thread: Wifi connected, but internet not working. Tried fixes but haven't worked...help!

Beans

Wifi connected, but internet not working. Tried fixes but haven't worked...help!

I have a lenovo x230 running ubuntu 12.04lts (network card is intel centrino advanced n6205). I've been using it just fine for a while, but all of a sudden the internet's stopped working. It's connected to the router just fine (I can see the antenna bars saying it's connected) but when I try to go to a webpage, it's just loading forever. I've tried the fix listed here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1985079) but it hasn't done anything (the instructions are a little confusing though. What am I supposed to type after gksudo gedit /etc/pm/power.d/wireless ).

I'm booting windows 7 right now and the internet works just fine when I'm on windows, so I know it must be a problem with ubuntu. I haven't touched any network settings before this problem happened, and I've been using it just fine for months, so I don't know why I'm getting this problem all of a sudden.

Beans

Re: Wifi connected, but internet not working. Tried fixes but haven't worked...help!

There seem to be some common outputs that people seem to ask for questions like mine. I ran some of the ones I saw and uploaded the results that I got here:
    https://gist.github.com/anonymous/c001b8ac5a7369d46cfc

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Wifi connected, but internet not working. Tried fixes but haven't worked...help!

Does it work after you shut off and reboot? I have an Intel centrino advanced-N 6235 Wireless and it's quirky.

Beans

That's my go-to solution I always jump to before even googling anything. No luck this time though.

Beans

The kernel in 12.04 has full support for Centrino. Does the connection kick in if you temporarily disable Bluetooth?

Beans

i'll try that in a bit (im on windows now), but that's the weird thing. It's been working fine for months (with bluetooth on and off) and just suddenly broke.

Beans

I had connect problems with my Centrino too, but after several reboots it fixed itself. It's supposed to be the best and the latest but it's slow to connect. And also I think manufacturers in general don't give Linux devs as much cooperation as they give to Microsoft. But in the end it gets sorted out. Try a newer kernel if you're handy at such installations.

Beans

pages 'loading forever' is often a path MTU discovery issue - have you tried reducing the MTU? or trying to diagnose it with a ping test?

Beans

my bad, not 'forever'. It just keeps loading for a really long time but it'll eventually stop and the browser displays some error message.