Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 doesn't recognize wireless

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 doesn't recognize wireless

Hi, I spent several hours researching your card.

Ralink corp. Device [1814:3593]

seems you lucked out and have a device that has drivers for windows
    but not linux. One refrence stated that the card was included in the
    rt2800pci driver. Thus far we have failed to get the rt2800pci driver
    to work.The first driver you compiled 2860? I found in a post along
    with instructions to mod other files, If this is by chance what you did
    this may be why the rt2800pci still fails to load correctly. Were it me
    that was having these issues i would do one of 2 things,both a pain
    1.reload Ubuntu 12.04 along with all the updates so i would know i had
    a clean os and then attempt to get the card working with the rt2800pci driver
    2. Get out the hacksaw,vicegrips and hammer and change out the wireless card
    with a known 100% linux supported card for your computer.
    3 of 2 things... I would probably do both of the above so i knew i had a clean install
    for my new card.
    I am sorry I was unable to help you.
    Craving anchovy, herring and squid pizza.....with clam sauce

Beans

I'm not surprised at all to be honest. I tried to get the rt2800pci to work before I tried the 2860. DIdn't mod any files though, just compiled and installed it as the instructions said. Nothing fancy since I don't know anything fancy. Regardless of whether it works or not I sincerely appreciate the time you put into helping. Have a great day!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I know I am late to respond, but thought I should add the info that I gathered after doing some more research after my last post. Just for the sake of adding info on the issue, not really something that I'm very hopeful about.

As is evident now, the Ralink site (http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downl...ows.php?sn=501) doesn't have any dedicated drivers to offer for this particular chip (RT3593). I tried compiling and checking all the drivers (including some USB ones that I found being referenced to it) that seemed relevant. None have the support for this chip after being compiled (as can be verified by "modinfo" command).

Bottomline - we don't seem to have readymade support for this chip from any of the proprietary driverd as of now (June 15, 2013), I wish and hope somebody can prove me wrong, but... (read on)..

As per this Linux driver database site, a Linux driver for this chip doesn't even exist : http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Ralink_RT3593_Reference_Design
    Although we have clearly seen an alias in the native rt2800pci driver. So I was thinking may be this database is just outdated..
    Besides this chip is in the market since 2010 !

So then I went to linuxwireless.org , looked up rt2800pci and found this : http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/...upported_chips
    Unsupported chips
    RF3053/RT3593, 802.11a/b/g/n 3T3R 450 Mbps 2.4/5 GHz PCI Express Single Chip.
    This is a site that I trust the most (but is definitely not the end of world, so I kept looking on...)

Interestingly enough, even though the chip is in the market since 2010, there is very little information on it on the net. I couldn't find any case suggesting it could work on Linux, only a very few problem posts, bug reports etc with no solution or anything significant. Only because of the fact that how long it has been in the market, I was (to some extent still am) still hopeful.

However, since I have seen this error message in jdhoskins' dmesg outputs -
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhoskins View Post
    Code:
    dmesg | grep rt
    [  772.158614] phy0 -> rt2800_init_eeprom: Error - Invalid RT chipset detected.
    [  772.158624] phy0 -> rt2x00lib_probe_dev: Error - Failed to allocate device.
    ..I have almost lost hope with the native rt2800pci driver also.
    My own interpretation (which can be wrong, I wish it is..) of the above error message is that it is a way for the rt2800pci driver to say that - "I'm not meant for this particular chip. I'm not going to work with it, period."

If so, I wonder then what that alias for it is doing in its modinfo

The only link that gives me some hope is an archlinux custom package that seems to specifically address this chip : https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/rt3593/

I have never used archlinux myself and so I have no idea how its package system works. Analysing the package detail files and included package (it is a hidden .tar.gz package, same one as downloaded from Ralink site) suggest that it is nothing but some patches and modifications applied to RT3573 USB driver downloaded from mediatek site.

I tried to manually do everything that the PKGBuild file in the package seems to do (it is basically the package handling and installation instructions set for archlinux package manager). That is, I did all the renames, string changes, applied patches etc. The driver compiled fine, but the modinfo returned same old output with no alias to 3593.

Now I'm wondering maybe archlinux package manager has some way of further affecting the compilation process or 'force-bind' the compiled driver with a chip ID based on the info included in the PKGBuild file. I have no way to try archlinux on my laptop, partly because I don't have enough time right now and mainly because I'm already out of space on my hdd. So, jdhoskins, maybe you can try posting your issue on archlinux forums with reference to this package and asking if someone there can kindly try compiling it and (/or otherwise) confirm if it really supports rt3593 after being installed (output of modinfo or if there is some other way to confirm that).

Whoever (mentioned in the first line of the PKGBuild file, with email address) has created that package seems to have specifically targeted this chip, that's what makes me most hopeful. So if you haven't already given up, I'd suggest to try your luck on archlinux forums and let us know how it goes. I think you can also try directly emailing the person who created that package.

In any case, I'm just stumped on how such an old chip can still be so troublesome.
    Last edited by varunendra; June 17th, 2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: typo
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans

Checking this out right now Varun! I appreciate you spending so much time looking for a solution and hope to find something that works. I've definitely not completely given up...

Beans
    Distro

Checking this out right now Varun! I appreciate you spending so much time looking for a solution and hope to find something that works. I've definitely not completely given up...
    It's fun!

I just read a post mentioning something about 'manually adding an ID (alias in modinfo) before compiling'. That's exactly what I was looking for with the suggested archlinux package, but got lost in other things.

If time allows, I may try to read more on it and see if I can do that. It will force the driver to recognize the device and get loaded for it.

Like you noticed in the rt3592 driver source, there are instances of 3593 in the code of several drivers, but the finally compiled drivers don't include that ID. This (if possible) can be a way to at least make it load for the card. However, it will only work if the driver is already capable of handling the device.

I hope to get enough time to concentrate on it soon. If I did, I'll post back if found something significant. Can't promise anything though.
    Last edited by varunendra; June 17th, 2013 at 03:34 PM.
    Varun

Beans

It seems like I recall reading something about doing that as well but I've read so much at this point, in such a small period of time that I can't be sure. I'll also see what I can find regarding that subject as well!

Beans

So I emailed the person that created the patch to see if it would also work in Ubuntu and he said he didn't see why not. So I'd like to at least give it a try and see what happens. I certainly can't hurt anything because it isn't working already...just gotta figure out how to get started.

Beans
    Distro

So I emailed the person that created the patch to see if it would also work in Ubuntu and he said he didn't see why not. So I'd like to at least give it a try and see what happens. I certainly can't hurt anything because it isn't working already...just gotta figure out how to get started.
    After compiling, I checked its modinfo. There was no 'alias' for 3593 in it. What it tells me is that it won't recognize the device "Ralink corp. Device [1814:3593]" therefore. You can ask him to confirm whether it is supposed to include that ID in its supported device list (modinfo output) or not. If not, then how is it going to bind with it?
    Varun

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    After compiling, I checked its modinfo. There was no 'alias' for 3593 in it. What it tells me is that it won't recognize the device "Ralink corp. Device [1814:3593]" therefore. You can ask him to confirm whether it is supposed to include that ID in its supported device list (modinfo output) or not. If not, then how is it going to bind with it?
    Please check PM, Varun.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

So here is the reply I got when I asked if this was intended for the Ralink rt3593 card. "Hi, yes, it is. No references because it actually uses the driver for the previous 3573 version. There are no linux version for 3593 chip at all.
    So basically we're simply adding our device to the supported devices list:
    + {USB_DEVICE(0x13B1,0x003B)}, /* Cisco LinkSys AE3000 */ (in rtusb_dev_id.patch)

All the other patches are only bugfixes, to allow this driver to work with new kernels, to rename network name to wlan0, etc"

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast