Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 doesn't recognize wireless

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 doesn't recognize wireless

Varun. Sorry I've been MIA. I've been pulled to another project for a while. Still haven't heard back from the author. I'll try what you're asking ASAP and post back. Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jdhoskins View Post
    Varun. Sorry I've been MIA. I've been pulled to another project for a while. Still haven't heard back from the author. I'll try what you're asking ASAP and post back. Thanks again!
    No problem at all !

We know that users just want their system work and not everyone may have this much time to keep experimenting with us when there are much easier options, like getting a cheap compatible adapter instead, are available.

However, if you, like us, enjoy the fun of troubleshooting stuff, we'll always be ready to work with you until we are totally out of ideas. So far we are not.

I and Dr. Chili were having some conversation in the background about this chip, and he suggested that we should also try a newer "compat-wireless" package. It is nothing but a newer version of drivers backported from newer kernels. We hope that since the native rt2800pci driver includes a modalias for the chip, its newer version may happen to support it better in case its support was experimental in earlier versions. But like our earlier attempts, it is also just a guess, albeit an educated one.

Let me know when and if you are ready to try that. We are in no hurry, and we all understand that it has already dragged far away from the limits of patience a normal user can have.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Personally, I'd rather get this working than get another. I actually enjoy troubleshooting these things and making them work as well. I'm really knew to Linux but I'm enjoying it so far. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of getting a laptop for myself to install and run as a Linux machine. I'm not sure when I'll be able to appropriate time at work to work on this again since I'm currently working on other projects but look forward to getting back to it again! People like you and Chili are definitely great to have around and I'm sure I'm not alone in appreciating your patience and help! Also, I had actually looked at the compat-wireless option but was confused as to which version I should use.
    Last edited by jdhoskins; June 25th, 2013 at 01:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Also, I had actually looked at the compat-wireless option but was confused as to which version I should use.
    Varun has that all figured out for you and will write full instructions soon.
    Chili's Folly: Intel NUC, i3-4010U, 120 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM, external 500 GB HDD, Ubuntu Saucy; small, silent and fast.

Beans

Thanks for the info!

Beans

Varun,

Also here is the output of the last set of commands you asked me to run. It looks as though, for some reason, the 2800 is still hanging around in there.

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net

01:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Ralink corp. Device [1814:3593]
    Subsystem: Ralink corp. Device [1814:3593]
    Kernel modules: rt2800pci
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 06)
    Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device [10ec:0123]
    Kernel driver in use: r8169

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Also here is the output of the last set of commands you asked me to run. It looks as though, for some reason, the 2800 is still hanging around in there.
    Not surprising to me. The compiled driver being meant for USB devices only, couldn't bind with your card, hence the native one still hanging out there.

Here are the steps to compile a compatible compat-wireless package (tested successfully on Ubuntu 12.04. Once again, link & short steps both courtesy of Dr. Chili) :

1) As always, get a cable connection and make sure you have linux-headers and build-essential installed to be able to compile the driver -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic
    2) Download this package (right-click > save link as) : http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern....7.9-1.tar.bz2

3) Copy the downoaded file to your desktop

4) Right-Click the downloaded .tar.bz2 file > Extract here

5) Open a terminal, and do -
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop/compat-drivers-3.7.9-1
    ./scripts/driver-select rt2x00
    make
    sudo make install
    watch out for errors and post back if there are any.

Load the new module (although it should've been done during the install process, just to make sure) :
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -rfv rt2800pci
    sudo modprone -v rt2800pci
    Try to connect. Any change?

If not, post back outputs of -
    Code:
    modinfo rt2800pci | egrep -i 'version|3593'
    dmesg | grep rt2
    Please note that you can try an even newer version by just booting with a live DVD/USB of 13.04, as it contains kernel 3.8 by default, while we are compiling above the one from kernel 3.7.9-1. If it works in 13.04, we can try to make it work in your current 12.04.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Finally getting around to trying this today. So I did sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic and build essential was up to date but there were some things downloaded and installed with the headers. So now I have no display. The splash screen flashes a few times and then nothing but black screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Finally getting around to trying this today. So I did sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic and build essential was up to date but there were some things downloaded and installed with the headers. So now I have no display. The splash screen flashes a few times and then nothing but black screen.
    Were you able to re-boot? What happened next? Are there any clues as to the problem at:
    Code:
    cat /var/log/dmesg.0 | tail -n20
    Both of the packages you installed are used to compile from source code. Until you compile and modprobe the driver, they should have no effect.

The solution Varun proposed was tested and compiled without error or warning on a 12.04 system.
    Chili's Folly: Intel NUC, i3-4010U, 120 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM, external 500 GB HDD, Ubuntu Saucy; small, silent and fast.

Beans

After reboot the bios screen comes up, then the splash screen flashes a couple of times and nothing but black...I'm guessing display drivers because when I try to boot and use recovery mode it sticks at a line that says "fb: conflicting fb hw usage inteldrmfb vs EFI VGA - removing generic driver. However, it stays stuck on that line and never moves on.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast