Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Normal Quotation Marks

Beans

Normal Quotation Marks

I am running Ubuntu 12.10 and I cannot for the life of me get the normal "" quotation mark; all I get is this little ¨¨ quotation mark after I double tap the key.

I have tried changing my keyboard settings via System Settings> Keyboard Layout, and have used English (US), English (US, alternative international), and English (Canada) and none have had what I want.
    Last edited by Buob; June 8th, 2013 at 09:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Normal Quotation Marks

Do you have this problem system-wide, or in a specific set of applications?
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

It´s system wide. I was only able to use the quote I want in my first post because I used copy-paste.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Buob View Post
    I am running Ubuntu 12.10 and I cannot for the life of me get the normal "" quotation mark; all I get is this little ¨¨ quotation mark after I double tap the key...
    I am not sure what you mean by "double tap the key".

Generally, a quotation mark is produced by a single key press, although sometimes this is a "shifted" key depending on the local variant.

If you are using a US keyboard layout (see attached image) then a quotation mark is produced by hitting shift and the key (marked with both a single and a double quote mark) to the left of the "Enter" key.

If you are using a different keyboard then this link might help you locate the appropriate key.

I do suggest that, for test purposes, you open the Gedit text editor to try out these keystrokes. This is because Gedit works with simple ASCII characters whereas a word processor such as LibreOffice Writer may try to produce "smart" quotes which could confuse the picture!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    ... "smart" quotes which could confuse the picture!
    Yes, if one isn't careful, even copy/pasting from the net can cause problems because of smart quotes. It's all very mysterious

Beans

I've tried hitting the key in Gedit. Same problem. I could try editing the file the program pulls from, but I have no idea where it would be. It's just driving me batty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Buob: The Unicode for a standard quotation mark (") is 0022. To test this, open Gedit and then try entering the Unicode directly:

Press (and release) Shift+Ctrl+U, then, while underlined u is displayed, enter the hexadecimal Unicode character code point (0022) followed by <Return>.

This test should have produced the following quotation mark: "

See if this character is the same as that produced when hitting the same key we identified earlier.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    See if this character is the same as that produced when hitting the same key we identified earlier.
    No, the characters are not the same. As I said before, the quotation marks look like ¨ as opposed to ". I know the difference between a programmer's quote and a smart quote.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It could be an artifact of viewing this thread on my phone, but those don't look like smart quotes to me; they look like the thing that goes over an ö. Are you using dead keys or something?
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Please advise which part of the world you are in. i.e. which locale did you select when you installed Ubuntu?

Please also post all the output of the following command:
    Code:
    locale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast