Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: GParted partition help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: GParted partition help.

Old Fred,

I was able to successfully boot and create a Ubuntu 12.04 disk. I have now realized in my boot info script that I have 13.04 on SDA 5. Would it be worth it it scrap 13.04, and reinstall 12.04 with my CD that I downloaded?
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

In my 640GB drive I have several installs all in 25GB / (root) partitions with all my data in two 100GB data partitions. So you can replace 13.04 or install 12.04 in addition.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Has anyone used "OS Uninstaller?" I downloaded it but need to see where where I'd need to format my SDA 5 partition to delete 13.04 and keep 12.04 (definately NTFS but NTFS fast or just NTFS)?
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

For any Linux stuff, you can use GParted. You can remove and replace partitions with it before installing. When you install, grub should take care of the bootup side of things. If things are a bit messed up after installing, that's when you use Boot-repair.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Like Irihapeti I prefer to use gparted. And I like to label my partitions, usually with gparted, but when I forget to label one, I use Disks or Disk Utility. But I do not use Disks for any other partition type changes as some have had issues with certain configurations.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Going to mark this solved. I was able to get back all my space..One small question. What is a good size to reinstall 12.04 at from my disk? Going to include all my Windows items. (25, 30 gb.) 100, 150?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Partitioning is very personal as it depends on how you are using system. Even my own best optimal partitioning plan is not so good a year or two later as I have changed what I am doing.

One suggestion:

For the Total space you want for Ubuntu:
    Ubuntu's standard install is just / (root) & swap, but it is better to add another partition for /home if allocating over 30GB.:
    Only if gpt - all partitions in gpt are primary:
    gpt: 250 MB efi FAT32 (for UEFI boot or future use for UEFI, you only can have one per drive, so if already existing do not attempt another)
    gpt: 1 MB bios_grub no format (for BIOS boot not required for UEFI)
    gpt or MBR(msdos)
    Ubuntu partitions - smaller root only where hard drive space is limited.
    If total space less than about 30GB just use / not separate /home or standard install.
    1. 10-25 GB Mountpoint / primary or logical beginning ext4(or ext3)
    2. all but 2 GB Mountpoint /home logical beginning ext4(or ext3)
    3. 2 GB Mountpoint swap logical

Depending on how much memory you have you may not absolutely need swap but having some is still recommended. I do not hibernate (boots fast enough for me) but if hibernating then you need swap equal to RAM in GiB not GB. And if dual booting with windows a shared NTFS partition is also recommended. But you usually cannot create that as part of the install, just leave some space. Or partition in advance (recommended).
    One advantage of partitioning in advance is that the installer will use the swap space to speed up the install. Thanks Herman for the tip.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DiskSpace
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2021534

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

My HD is a 640 GB hard drive...Since I only want 12.04 and W7 on it

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415