Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone only use LTS Releases of Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Anyone only use LTS Releases of Ubuntu

I was wondering if anyone only uses the LTS releases of Ubuntu rather then upgrading every 6 to 9 months, why or why not? I'm going to start only using LTS releases..thoughts?
    Last edited by sports fan Matt; June 6th, 2013 at 03:36 AM.
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Anyone only use LTS Releases of Ubuntu

I think this question has already been asked somewhere, but anyway...

I use only LTS as my main system, on both my netbook and my desktop machine.

I do have other installations strictly for testing purposes. i.e. I expect them to go peculiar on occasions and I don't keep anything critical on them.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I multi boot, but my main system is Precise.
    The others come and go, and sometimes stay gone for chunks of time.
    But Precise will sit on my machine for several years. And will get the most active use of all the distros.
    I use it for the stability and the set it and forget it length of support.
    5 years is a nice length for a free system's support time.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

i used 10.04 for most of its lifespan, till some time into 12.10 (testing on second hdd)
    upgraded 10.04 to 13.04, i intend to stick with 14.04 for a few years at least
    i was not very happy with 12.04 was a but of a letdown for me, just seemed outdated from the start and it needed a bunch of ppa to get it useable for me so i kept using 10.04, was much happer with 12.10 than 12.04 and 13.04 got a lot of nitpicky issues fixed
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

been using Ubuntu 8.04 since i started and i haven't really ran into any problems, well problems that i couldn't eventually solve

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Wink Re: Anyone only use LTS Releases of Ubuntu

I was originally introduced to Ubuntu® through gOS® (as Good OS LLC, now with the ages, relied on Canonical Ltd. for support of installed systems), as gOS® 1.0.1 was based primarily on XUbuntu® 7.10. I've run LTS releases since 2008, when my Everex® TC2502 was due for a Dist-Upgrade, going straight from gOS® 1.0.1 to Ubuntu® 8.04-LTS, then 10.04-LTS, and currently 12.04.2-LTS.

Future plans call for installing Ubuntu® 14.04-LTS on my hopped-up Asus® CM1630-06 mid-tower when I get a new system to run Microsoft® Windows® 8ight™ Service Pack 1 64-bit 8.0.10001 (MultiProcessor Kernel 6.2.9201), as the CM1630's stock Asus® M5A78LT-M/CSM mobo cannot be upgraded for certain Win 8 features due to an undersize flash EEPROM chip and ASUSTeK has seen no need for a new BIOS for the M5A78LT-M since 2010.
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Pascal and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Sorry Irihapeti,
    Was just asking in light of the changes to Ubuntu over the years since I've been gone for a few years.
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

I see the appeal of LTS and not having to update and I would be running an LTS of lubuntu if there was a such thing on my old dell latitude 505d laptop (that I use to watch movies and such on my tv.) on my main computer I like having the new shinny so I go for the short releases. Besides the hole every 2 year thing I would get tired of the OS before the next LTS would come out. Now if there was an LTS once a year I would be more likely to go LTS over the short releases

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@sox fan Matt
    I'd not realised you'd been gone for so long - I remember you from way back. Apologies, didn't mean to be obnoxious.

Anyway, good to see you back.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Annadin View Post
    been using Ubuntu 8.04 since i started and i haven't really ran into any problems, well problems that i couldn't eventually solve
    You should upgrade 8.04 is unsupported at this point
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast