Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Anyone only use LTS Releases of Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Anyone only use LTS Releases of Ubuntu

I use my computer and Ubuntu to make money. Fiddling with my software or computer to overcome some glitch costs me money. Or rather, the chance to earn more of it. That's my long term support reason and I'm stickin' to it.

Wrung everything I could out of 10.04LTS during its lifetime; am now with 12.04 LTS Unity. I'll wait for 14.04 to be released, give it six months for the kinks to be worked out, try it on a spare computer for a while, then make the transition once I confirm that the new LTS release enables me to do all the things I need to do to support my income stream.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I would prefer to stick with an LTS release, but I've had to abandon both 10.04 and 12.04 and move to an interim release. In the first case, it was because the 10.04 release of Kubuntu was a bloody mess; 10.10 was the Kubuntu that 10.04 should have been. More recently I was running Kubuntu 12.04 quite happily on a number of machines until I bought a Samsung Galaxy S3. Then the lack of support for the MTP protocol in earlier Ubuntu versions became the issue. I've found 13.04 to have some stability issues, particularly when it comes to the kernel. Looking in my /boot shows versions 21-23 of kernel 3.8.0 with dates of May 14, 16, and 29. That's way too unstable for my liking. I would prefer to return to 12.04, but I do like being able to transfer files to and from my phone over the USB cable rather than kludgier wi-fi based solutions I had to use in the past.
    I'm running 12.04 on my server atm, but I ended up having to bump up to a 3.5.x kernel because of a hardware/kernel module issue with the later 3.2 kernels.

Thinking about moving back to Debian Wheezy and running Proxmox on top of it to do virtualization via KVM and OpenVZ instead of VirtualBox, but that will be a huge change from what I am used to.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    I'm running 12.04 on my server atm, but I ended up having to bump up to a 3.5.x kernel because of a hardware/kernel module issue with the later 3.2 kernels.

so much for support and stability....
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Unhappy Re: Anyone only use LTS Releases of Ubuntu

Main desktop broke after to a routine update - graphic completely screwed - I will only use LTS from now on. I'm excited by all the features added to each release but I'm increasing asking myself "Why did I have to dist upgrade!". It's a shame LTS seems like a boring place to be compared to the next 2-3 releases - like I'm missing out on something.
    Last edited by Rocklobster690; June 12th, 2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Rocklobster690 View Post
    Main desktop broke after to a routine update - graphic completely screwed - I will only use LTS from now on. I'm excited by all the features added to each release but I'm increasing asking myself "Why did I have to dist upgrade!". It's a shame LTS seems like a boring place to be compared to the next 2-3 releases - like I'm missing out on something.

you will then be overwhelmed with new features when you upgrade 6 months after next LTS release

i am at the moment pondering if it might be worth adding desktops's PPA. Because new version is supposedly a lot faster and uses even less resources.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Let others follow the bleeding edge and bleed, but, if you do not require such features I feel it is wiser to stay with an LTS. In time and LTS will incorporate all that was once bleeding edge without the you suffering a loss of blood.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    so much for support and stability....
    Well, I had to compile a proprietary kernel module for the RAID card, but it never freaked out like that in the past if the module didn't build correctly or failed to build at all. Considering I've been running the same RAID card on both 10.04 and 12.04, that kinda annoyed me.

In any case, it wasn't too fun to troubleshoot either, but I had some help tracking it down, so that was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by tubbygweilo View Post
    Let others follow the bleeding edge and bleed, but, if you do not require such features I feel it is wiser to stay with an LTS. In time and LTS will incorporate all that was once bleeding edge without the you suffering a loss of blood.
    +1.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For several years now I have multi-booting latest LTS and latest stable releases of Ubuntu, along with a version of Mint and Windows on my Dell laptop. Also have Lubuntu installed on a partition for use when I want to boot up and shut down fast. Right now Precise with Unity is my go-to installation for most tasks. All the 'buntu installations share a separate Home partition, and Windows 7 and the 'buntus all mount a 500 GB fat32 data partition, which is where I keep all mp3s, photos and .iso files.

I always have the latest Ubuntu +1 installed on a 16 G USB flash drive until it reaches beta. At that time it gets installed to a hard drive partition, but does not share Home. I guess I just like to see what's new.

Ubuntu Precise is my favorite for several reasons. It's by far the most stable Ubuntu on my machine. It gives me the longest running time on battery. The most stable tools (apps) are on Precise, although they might lack the latest and greatest features. Almost everything that I need to do anything is installed in Precise.

So, to answer the question, I don't use only LTS releases, but I use them the most.
    Last edited by bplzip; June 16th, 2013 at 12:16 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345