Thread: Want to use broadband on Laptop from Desktop using Bluetooth

Beans

Want to use broadband on Laptop from Desktop using Bluetooth

Hello everyone,

I have a desktop with broadband connection. My friend has a Laptop and he wants to access internet on it. I have bluetooth dongle connected to my Desktop. We both are using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

How can we use internet on Laptop? Is there any way to access internet on laptop using bluetooth?

Please help us.

Kanna.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Want to use broadband on Laptop from Desktop using Bluetooth

This article has your answer:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1632825

Beans

Hi Scbingham,

Thank your for your link. I have read the page and other guide on it. I followed the link http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials...with-bluetooth. but pan0 and pan1 interfaces are not created on my desktop. I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. It is desktop version, but not server edition. Do I need a server OS?
    Please help me.
    Thank you once again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I doubt you would have to run 12.04 server, although in the linked article there is a list of prerequisite packages which may not be included in 12.04 desktop by default.

I've not tried this type of BT link. BT is quite pitiful (speed wise) when it comes to copying files, not sure how it will manage web browsing.

Depending on how you connect to your broadband, there are other ways to share your connection, a wireless router would be easy.