Thread: Downloads in Ubuntu Software Centre

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Downloads in Ubuntu Software Centre

Hi,

I just purchased Humble Indie Bundle 8, got the codes to install the games in Ubuntu Software Centre and in Steam.
    I was trying to install Oil Rush in Ubuntu Software Centre. The problem is that I have a poor internet connection; it disconnects every 2 minutes. While downloading, the internet connection disrupts, the download process stops and I receive the following message:

Failed to fetch https://private-ppa.launchpad.net/co...buntu4_all.deb Operation too slow. Less than 10 bytes/sec transferred the last 120 seconds

Then I have to start over again from scratch. I tried to download the game several times, but I am tired of trying and will install it through Steam, which allows to resume downloads.
    This really irritates me. Why isn't it possible to pause a download in Ubuntu Software Centre, or just to close the Software Centre and resume the download later, like in Steam?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Downloads in Ubuntu Software Centre

The Software Center is the most annoying piece of software I have EVER used, besides ... well, I can't think of anything. It is rather bloated, though the developers have been working on that (and I got a new XPS). This is the fourth bug that I have heard of this week from users attempting to make this software work. I have abandoned it altogether for apt-get or the more accessible and usable Synaptic. It definitely needs some work. Perhaps you can help them out by filing a bug (actually a feature request in this case), or adding your name to an existing one.

If you found a workaround, however, and there are very many for this issue, like using wget and dpkg, then it is not particularly useful to ask for support.
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."