Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is this why Gnome self-destructed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Is this why Gnome self-destructed?

I switched to Unity because of some aspects I perceived to be limitations in Shell, but I don't think Shell deserves much of the criticism it gets, either - all I'm going to say on that.

I do think that the Register article is connecting dots that don't connect. Gnome Shell is a result of the same forces that drove Windows to the tile UI - mobile and web interfaces showed people that there were other ways of arranging things, and it was suddenly possible to get bored with the usual taskbar and menu arrangement. (Gnome has some direct influences from those mobile and web interfaces - superficially, it looks a hell of a lot like iOS - but even that seems secondary to the general influence of "something different.") Gnome didn't stop looking like Windows when Microsoft pitched its patent fit, while KDE looked like Windows 7 long before Windows 7 did, and it still does. But there is a push to not look like Windows, and it hit Gnome scarcely before it hit Windows itself.

MadmanRB, I'm glad to see that you're acknowledging that there are some good desktops that don't look and work like Windows, although Unity and OSX are certainly still "traditional" in their way of handling the desktop metaphor (but I won't claim that that's necessarily a bad thing.) I have to say that I really do like the fact that Unity is taking pains to keep its touch and keyboard / mouse interfaces separate. I do have to wonder to what extent Unity was built on the idea of "not Windows" (and there's some emulation of OSX in there, of course, too.)
    ~ I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home. ~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post

...a more proper taskbar should be the default and the maximize buttons be included by default.
    The primary reasons for a taskbar -- to launch applications and switch between running applications -- are subsumed in Gnome's dock. You might *prefer* to use a taskbar. But, your preference is a personal matter, and not a prescription for what Gnome *should* do.

Minimize and maximize buttons are available for anyone willing to turn them on. Otherwise, the same capability is still there by right-clicking the top window border.

The end user should not be forced to make functionality that should have already been there.
    Again, you are asserting a personal preference in the guise of something that you think applies universally. It doesn't.

Many people like KDE because it is very configurable. I don't like to spend time configuring, so I would prefer that KDE avoid the configurability and deliver a desktop I like out of the box. That's only my preference, not a reason for me to tell KDE what it *should* do.

...most who like gnome 3 are hard coders and long time linux users.
    Not people who have used windows up until now and want to try linux out.
    Again the gnome desktop in its current form is no better then windows 8, sacrificing functionality for useless flash and paying little attention to people who just want to get things done.
    Some surveys have shown that long-time Windows users with no Linux experience are quickest to adopt the Gnome Shell interface.

I haven't used Windows 8, but I find it ironic that an interface that is often attacked for blandness is, here, attacked for "useless flash". Where, exactly, is all that flash?

I like Gnome Shell because I like how it looks out of the box, because I need to spend hardly any time tweaking it, because it is faster on my 8-core I7 16-gig hardware than KDE or XFCE, because its automatic creation and deletion of work spaces saves me a lot of work, and because I can switch between apps and workspaces with one click. It is the most efficient and most pleasant desktop interface I've used in the 20 years I've used Unix and Linux.

I'll suggest that, like many others, you have tried to shoehorn Gnome Shell into working like your favorite interface. Finding out that it can't be massaged that way, you choose to attack it.

Beans

The article is interesting, but it is certainly seems like speculation. I don't think Gnome changed course for fear of litigation, but, as Copper said above, they realized that there were other ways to construct a user interface and decided to try to improve things. Many people disliked those changes at first, in no small part because it was not familiar and because Gnome 2 was so universally liked.

That all being said, the article does have some interesting historical information and is a good read in any case.
    Last edited by montag dp; June 6th, 2013 at 07:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    (Gnome has some direct influences from those mobile and web interfaces - superficially, it looks a hell of a lot like iOS
    Other than the Overview's use of icons in a menu, which bears a superficial resemblance to all the icons on my iPad, I don't think the two interfaces are really at all similar. iOS has icons. Period. No dock, no workspaces, no extensions, no top panel and menu bar. Nada. The Gnome project has repeatedly stated Gnome Shell is not designed for tablets. I tend to believe them because I think using Gnome Shell on a tablet would be problematic. It's designed for keyboard and mouse, not touch.

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro

Not at all. I use Gnome-shell on Gnome 3 without a single add-on and prefer it that way. I've been using Linux distributions of one flavour or another since 1997-98, and Gnome-shell is the most useful and productive environment I've ever used. Personally, I have to disagree with you 100%. And I use it on a conventional desktop quite happily, all day, every day.

Just because it doesn't fit you, doesn't mean it doesn't fit anybody.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by qamelian View Post
    Not at all. I use Gnome-shell on Gnome 3 without a single add-on and prefer it that way. I've been using Linux distributions of one flavour or another since 1997-98, and Gnome-shell is the most useful and productive environment I've ever used. Personally, I have to disagree with you 100%. And I use it on a conventional desktop quite happily, all day, every day.

Just because it doesn't fit you, doesn't mean it doesn't fit anybody.
    Seconded. Nice to see there's a few of us who feel this way.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, nVidia 9800GT 512Mb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thread closed. Requested by OP.
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345