Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this why Gnome self-destructed?

Beans

Re: Is this why Gnome self-destructed?

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Did you even bother clicking the link?? Gnome Project is looking for: writers, translators, testers, and graphic desingers in additon to coders. If you think Gnome sucks then contribute and make it better, or fork the project and call it Madman DE or something. Open source means freedom.

Yes but one should not have to be a coder to complain, its like how if you have a car and have a right to complain how bad its motor is and you dont have to become a mechanic.
    And why bother forking gnome when cinnamon is out there?
    Sure its not perfect but its a much better product right now.

Beans

That logic works both ways: Why bother complaing about Gnome when Cinnamon is out there?

Beans

Well Gnome is still dominant and still on many linuxes.
    Most distros that use it are severely hurt because of it, especially ones like fedora.

Beans

No, what would "hurt" Fedora (I don't think software is capable of feeling pain, but I digress) is if they denied their users the freedom to use Gnome, if they choose.

Beans

I like it better than Gnome 2 as well. And with the extensions, I can have the best of both worlds. I don't think I'll ever understand why some people who don't like a particular desktop environment find it necessary to go out of their way so much to make it seem like everyone else shares their opinion.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    No, what would "hurt" Fedora (I don't think software is capable of feeling pain, but I digress) is if they denied their users the freedom to use Gnome, if they choose.

I mean hurt the experience, not hurt the software.
    Its not in a literal sense.
    Last edited by MadmanRB; June 6th, 2013 at 02:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaMozilla View Post
    I like this from the linked article:
    Hang on, though, aren't most of these GNOME spin-offs very Windows-like? Aren't they at risk?

No, not any more. Microsoft has taken no legal action since 2007 and thus under the legal principle of laches it has forfeited the right to sue. Indeed, with Windows 8, the company itself moved away from the classic Start Menu-based desktop to a touch-oriented one.

Doesn't matter, though – the job was done by the time GNOME Shell and Unity came out. Meantime, it's been good news for the Xfce and LXDE desktops ...
    and @kevin, "... Now, two decades on, everyone can misuse the term "intuitive" ...". Not just misuse but overuse and use to cover laziness when one doesn't know how else to describe something.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I like all of the new non-windows looking gnome forks like unity and gnome 3. Just because you are used to a desktop being a particular way does not mean it is the best way. Look at the back lash of windows users at win8 there is a lot of people that hate it with a passion but they hate anytime windows changes something. it seems as though Linux users are no different.

Be open minded (it is open software for crying out loud) once you figure out how to use these new layout you will find they work really well and do neater things than just being a bar at the bottom of your screen with a start button.

Beans

Well my contention is that linux doesnt have to be like windows, but at the same time there should be at least some commonality.
    For one in gnome there should be more then just a close button for windows, have an actual taskbar and its dock work more like the one in windows 7/mac.
    The design at its current state is very cumbersome, next to windows 8 Gnome shell is the second worst UI design.
    If Metro want created it would still be the worst.
    I know many are saying "dont live in the past and embrace new design!"
    No this is all re inventing the wheel here, its all needless.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Well my contention is that linux doesnt have to be like windows, but at the same time there should be at least some commonality.
    For one in gnome there should be more then just a close button for windows, have an actual taskbar and its dock work more like the one in windows 7/mac.
    The design at its current state is very cumbersome, next to windows 8 Gnome shell is the second worst UI design.
    If Metro want created it would still be the worst.
    I know many are saying "dont live in the past and embrace new design!"
    No this is all re inventing the wheel here, its all needless.
    It's simple to add minimize and maximize buttons. It's right there in the tweak tool.

As far as the rest, well, what can I say. Your opinion is that the design is cumbersome, but you are trying to state it like it is a fact. Many people actually prefer the design. Plus, you can easily get a taskbar or dock with extensions if that's what you want.

For someone who feels so strongly about Gnome 3, may I ask when was the last time you used it? And for how long?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast