Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh my, Ubuntu how you've changed

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Unhappy Oh my, Ubuntu how you've changed

Finally upgraded my 512 ram P4 dell computer to an AMD athlon dual core 1GB DDR2 ram...Not a great leap I know but better than the old one and even better news came when I mentioned it on facebook someone took pity on me and gave me an intel Celeron c900 2GB DDR3 laptop.

My gripe comes when I downloaded Ubuntu and found loads of new junk on it like amazon, ubuntu one music etc add those to gwibber, empathy, zeitgeist, geoclue, apport, ubuntu one, ubuntu software center removal then adding sysnaptic etc it seems like with every new version there's more I have to do to get it to do exactly what I want.
    (I searched how to remove amazon and got "sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping", haven't tried it yet, I went straight for apt-get remove amazon but of course that didn't work.)

Probably just generally moaning like so many other people but it just feels like it's becoming less community orientated and more about the profit that can be made off of the community.

Maybe it's just me, using older systems that finds the new junk so annoying and unnecessary, superfluous and sometimes even damaging to function?
    when on thin ice; dance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Oh my, Ubuntu how you've changed

Hello!

You can stop the Amazon thing by going to your privacy settings and turning it off.

Most of the other things you mentioned don't do anything unless you are actually using them. They just take up a little disk space.

If Unity is too much, you might want to try Xubuntu or Lubuntu instead. Either of them would probably work better for you considering your specs.

Best wishes!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Still beats the heck out of ANY Windows based OS. At least you're not having to pay Mr. Gates for the privilage of all that extra junk,LOL.
    Moving from my iMac, 800MHz G3, 768MB of 133MHz RAM to my current HP laptop, Intel 1.86GHz, 2GB@533MHz of RAM was a HUGE leap for me and to be able to run a nice, free op sys like 12.04 on it was just the icing on the cake.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans

Instead of going through all that hassle install Xubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

haven't tried Xbuntu yet, have to admit I like Lubuntu but it never seems quite as stable somehow.

lol, yes it's better than Windows, except when it comes to games but I hear Steam are working on bringing games to Linux, so fingers crossed...I did like the Xbox but the new one disgusts me in sooo many ways. I think the only product M$ ever made that I liked was Windows XP and even when I tried to get a copy of that of them (because the OEM had gone bust)they tried to charge me 100 pounds for it because "support had ended" even though I had a valid license.
    when on thin ice; dance

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In fairness, I think Canonical are trying to break even rather than to gouge you for a profit. They do give away an awesome distro that they do a lot of work for.

I think you might prefer Xubuntu - it's much more like the traditional desktop you are used to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It has to be said that it's pretty surprising Canonical have given Ubuntu away (essentially) free without any bloatware like you're mentioning up until now.
    Takes minutes to get rid of, and if you don't like it you could always try a different distro.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Another vote for Xubuntu. It's Ubuntu like we used to know it.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans

Ubuntu employs people, and these employees must do work to earn their paychecks and satisfy their bosses.
    If you take away all of the Ubuntu-specific "junk" (your word, not mine) then the employees will have nothing to do all day.
    Why bother with a new release every 6 months if you aren't going to innovate, take risks, and introduce new features?
    Last edited by snowpine; June 6th, 2013 at 12:48 AM.

Beans

Junk is something that you don't use. just remove them or start with a minimal install. Don't see what the problem is. A new install of Ubuntu is still pretty small (can fit into a 4 G thumb drive) and the 'junks' that take up most space are not little apps like Unity one or music store which takes up miniscue space, but language packs which I never use (about half a G or more), those language packs have been there in a default install since way back in the "good old Ubuntu".
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 6th, 2013 at 01:07 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast