Thread: recovering xfs partition

Beans

recovering xfs partition

My samsung telly uses a samsung external usb hard drive to record programmes to an xfs partition. Last year a power cut caused drive corruption on the xfs partition but I was able to recover it by assigning a new uuid, re-running the log etc.

A few weeks ago the partition went wrong again. I can read the other partitions but not the xfs one.

xfs_repair hust hangs and does nothing, can't even ctrl-C to kill it.

gparted can see the space used on the xfs (/dev/sdb3) but that can't repair it either.

I only know the basics of repairing partitions so some suggestions would be appreciated.

Beans

Re: recovering xfs partition

How can I find out why the partition is not accessable ?

When I try a repair in gparted it says that an operation is pending. Is something locking the partition ?

Beans

I have tried xfs_check and xfs_repair but I am not sure if they are doing anything:

>> ps -A | grep xfs
    1609 ? 00:00:00 xfsalloc
    1610 ? 00:00:00 xfs_mru_cache
    1611 ? 00:00:00 xfslogd
    17110 ? 00:00:00 xfs-data/sdb3
    17111 ? 00:00:00 xfs-conv/sdb3
    17112 ? 00:00:00 xfs-cil/sdb3
    17127 pts/1 00:00:00 xfs_repair

Beans

Well after numerous reboots, running xfs_repair with or without -L, gparted repair (just a shell to xfs_repair ?), and xfs-check about 100 times each it was able to do something to the partition and it is now working as well as it did before (not perfect), at least I have my video recordings back.

If only it worked the first time.