Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Operating laptop without a battery

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Operating laptop without a battery

Is there any downside to operating my old Serval (Serp 2) without the battery while I'm waiting for an ordered replacement? There still is some juice in the old battery but not enough to use the computer safely/reliably away from an ac outlet.

Mostly use it on my desk but occassionally need to show groups an alternative to Windows.

Sincerely,
    hkj629

Beans

Re: Operating laptop without a battery

As long as there is live-power (230V, 110V) I see no problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

sanderj,

Thanks for the assurance. I tried it out and everything worked as usual.

If you would, here's another problem I've got: How do you delete something from the archived folder?

Thanks,
    hkj629

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You might want to keep the battery plugged in, as otherwise the contacts are exposed and it's possible to short them, causing motherboard damage.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Good thought; better be safe than sorry. Thank you, isantop.

hkj629

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I thought battery life was reduced by keeping it plugged into the mains all the time with the battery installed.

Just for the record, my main office desktop machine is an old laptop without the battery. It's been running that way for months. I also don't see much chance of shorting the connectors since there is nothing near them when the battery is removed.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I thought battery life was reduced by keeping it plugged into the mains all the time with the battery installed.
    I am curious about this too. I read awhile back, for healthy notebook battery, do not leave notebook plugged in and running when fully charged - will reduce your battery capacity.

I fully charge, then unplug, and wait for discharge warning - battery low - before I plug in again.

I also recieved a recommendation to occasionally recharge battery, even if not completely discharged or low. So occasionally I will recharge to full, the battery when it is at 50% of capacity. Supposedly that also helps keep a notebook battery healthy in it's charge - discharge cycle.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Would Jupiter help?
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It does reduce the usable life of the abttery from the maximum, but so will removing it unless it's sitting at about 40% charge.

Batteries last longest when they're cool and at about 40% charge. Storing the battery outside the system or at a higher temperature (i.e. installed in the system) will both decrease the lifetime.

Then again, a new battery as about $100. That's a lot less than a new motherboard (up to $600, depending on the system. Sometimes higher). It isn't worth the risk.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

Just for the record, my main office desktop machine is an old laptop without the battery. It's been running that way for months. I also don't see much chance of shorting the connectors since there is nothing near them when the battery is removed.
    My work machine is like that and if the power goes out or it comes unplugged, the battery lasts like 10-15 minutes at most. I leave the battery out of my personal laptop, but it's usually sitting at around 80% charge, so I can pop it in if I need it.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast