Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: USA to legalize rootkits, spyware, ransomware and trojans to combat piracy?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: USA to legalize rootkits, spyware, ransomware and trojans to combat piracy?

Last reminder:

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    2. We have been more tolerant of political discussions in the Cafe, so long as they stay within the bounds of political developments as they apply specifically to open source. This is close enough that it can probably proceed. However, be aware that if this strays into a more general political discussion the thread will probably be closed.

Keep it on the specific topic in the original post and avoid gratuitous negative generalizations about any particular government, please.
    And:

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    last time I checked the 1st Amendment was still in effect and we could TALK about stuff without fear. Or was that only in the "Old" America?
    Last time I checked the 1st Amendment to the American constitution was irrelevant to this international forum with servers based in the UK. You may talk about stuff without fear so long as it stays within the bounds of the Code of Conduct.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Last time I checked the 1st Amendment to the American constitution was irrelevant to this international forum with servers based in the UK. You may talk about stuff without fear so long as it stays within the bounds of the Code of Conduct.
    Some times people forget about the "My house, my rules" thing. You are free to go stand on a soap box in the town square and speak your mind but the same does not apply on private property.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Haha Yeah, sure, go ahead and pass that, naive government of mine. Face the wrath of me and a few thousand other users when you do.

The United States government should focus on more serious problems than rich musicians losing some money. If they would like a real enemy, a real ​monster, I recommend the drug cartel on the southern border. After what I have seen, they deserve to be punished without mercy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by King Dude View Post
    Haha Yeah, sure, go ahead and pass that, naive government of mine. Face the wrath of me and a few thousand other users when you do.

The United States government should focus on more serious problems than rich musicians losing some money. If they would like a real enemy, a real ​monster, I recommend the drug cartel on the southern border. After what I have seen, they deserve to be punished without mercy.
    Ditto, and as far as that goes, China is hacking into and stealing more stuff then a few guys on the net downloading music. Much bigger fish to fry, much more pressing things to take care of then weather or not Metallica loses a few bucks from an illegal download.
    Also, in the future I'm going to refrain from any "Political" talk because that's not why I'm here. I'm here to talk about Ubuntu and other Linux Op Systems and to keep my 'puter up and running so to all the Mods on the forum, you don't have to "worry" about me anymore.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thank you all for your input. This is an important matter. However, despite two warnings the discussion has strayed from the topic specific to the original post to include US Drug Enforcement policy and the activities of the Chinese government (again).

Thread closed.

A note for some clarity for US Nationals:

The complaint that the Admins and Moderators on this forum deny the First Amendment Right to Free Speech under the US Constitution is tiresome (and doesn't apply).

If you are a US National, the First Amendment Right to Free Speech is not abridged when private parties limit the content that can be published in formats or venues over which they exercise editorial control. A newspaper, for instance, is not standing in the way of your Constitutional Right to Free Speech if they choose not to publish your letter to the editor. The Admins and Moderators on this forum are not abridging your First Amendment Right by enforcing adherence to the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct (Editorial Policy), to which we all subscribed when we signed up for our accounts. The staff exercise editorial control over what is published through this venue.

Neither is that exercise of editorial policy "censorship" in the way that many often misinterpret it. The First Amendment to the US Constitution protects against governmental or political censorship, not editorial censorship. You may say or write whatever you want in a public place (such as a street corner), so long as that expression is not otherwise proscribed by either US Code or case law adjudicated by any arm of the US Judiciary Branch. You may also say whatever you want via a private venue, so long as editorial policy does not proscribe it and it does not run counter to US law.

In any case, the US Constitution applies not at all to formats and venues hosted in other nations since it only applies within the bounds of US Jurisdiction. The US Constitution affords no protection to US Nationals abroad.

Yours truly,

A guy who professionally supported and defended the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic, for 24 years.
    Last edited by QIII; June 7th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
    The Community Java Wiki * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

And seeing the terror on the faces of the people, QIII did speak to them, saying "Fear not the Terminal, for it is a road both swift and secure to the Great Mysteries of Linux without passing through the dangers of The Land of Ten Thousand Competing Desktop Environments."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123