Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USA to legalize rootkits, spyware, ransomware and trojans to combat piracy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: USA to legalize rootkits, spyware, ransomware and trojans to combat piracy?

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    I am a musician, not a T-shirt designer. You do not have my permission to download my music for free. Please do not download my music for free! If you are stealing my music then I hope your computer gets malware and gets shut down.
    I've played guitar since the age of 5 and bass for the last 15 years and have dreamed of getting into a band although at 52 that dream is pretty much dead now. I would relish the idea of kids all over the world downloading MY music for FREE to play and enjoy. If all music is about for you is cash them maybe you should become a doctor or lawyer. For me music is about touching people's souls and money doesn't even enter into it. Besides, how many millions do the guys from Metallica really need?
    Heck, Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters gave away some of their music just to get the band into the lime light. Fame and reconition is where it's at as a musican, not money.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    I've played guitar since the age of 5 and bass for the last 15 years and have dreamed of getting into a band although at 52 that dream is pretty much dead now. I would relish the idea of kids all over the world downloading MY music for FREE to play and enjoy. If all music is about for you is cash them maybe you should become a doctor or lawyer. For me music is about touching people's souls and money doesn't even enter into it. Besides, how many millions do the guys from Metallica really need?
    Heck, Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters gave away some of their music just to get the band into the lime light. Fame and reconition is where it's at as a musican, not money.
    Shouldn't people be able to decide that for themselves? If you want to give your music away for free, then give it away for free; if you want to charge money, then charge money.

I am shocked moderators have not closed this thread promoting illegal activities.
    Last edited by snowpine; June 6th, 2013 at 01:45 AM.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post

I am shocked moderators have not closed this thread promoting illegal activities.
    You mean rootkits and ransomeware?

Beans

I heard about this a couple weeks ago and this is the stupidest idea I've ever seen, the only thing this WILL do is affect millions of innocent computer users, take down large important networks (stock exchange, government computers, ect), and hackers will make millions by exploiting this law. Anyways, I don't think even if this gets through that congress will pass it, but then again they are politicians....

EDIT: The saddest thing is that the largest manufacturer of pirated matrial (China) will probably not be affected by this law.
    Last edited by 3mutts; June 6th, 2013 at 02:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I would i don't care cause i use linux, but this is a very slippery road and i don't want this to happen (and I hope I am not giving MS any ideas here):
    I am sure they will then attempt to ban Operating Systems/software that are much harder to infect if they succeeded in this and it will be illegal to use anything other than windows and IE

I would like to see the publicly politicians tell the media industry 'you are drunk go home' (i hope that/this does not cross the politics line)
    I am sure that would violate a number of privacy and search and seizer laws
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Not exactly on topic, but somewhat close:
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...8.story?page=1

And people sneered at RMS when he said that cell phones were "mobile tracking devices". I wonder if anyone's ready to apologize now that it's clear and confirmed that RMS was right. ;)
    Last edited by prodigy_; June 7th, 2013 at 04:49 AM.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Back before the internet was main stream people used to record music with tape players off of the radio or record movies with their vcr and no one went around busting down doors for either. So why is it that now that there is the internet and the format has changed does the music/movie industry care so much now?

as far as this malware proposition I see it probably being only a windows problem...but I would think that the anti-virus companies would help with such an issue and help battle against it by defending against such a thing in the event it does pass. I mean heck even if this does come to light there will people that will figure out how to battle against it weather it be the pirates, developers, or big companies. I think opening the door for such things could however mean the death of the digital world if it does come to light because it will open the door for people to do malicious things to important infrastructures.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I want it on record that I abhor piracy in all its forms and this is not just another attempt by the rich to get richer and maintain control
    I would never use pirate bay, I couldn't even as it's been blocked in the UK and there is totally no way anyone, not even a child could find a workaround to all their genius machiavellian solutions! Another stalwart action that prevented an entire country from listening to free, nay, stolen works of our worlds hardest working employees - actors, musicians and others associated with those businesses!!
    It is in no way a very thin smoke screen to privatise and monitise the internet and Akamai, social networks, free OS's and media companies are in no way in on it and laughing at you right now.

Edit: It's also not entirely hilarious that by using buzzwords like "funding terrorism", "war on piracy" and by handing out wayyy over the top prison sentences (seriously you can get less for murder) they're actually just pushing piracy (and the MASSIVE profits involved ) into rogue states (as it's not illegal to stream pirated media just to host it or links to it) where there are said terrorists in control.
    So we can still watch it but it's the very countries they don't like that profit with their money.
    The closest thing to being entirely in control of what we watch and how we watch it was the Xbox one....I say was because it's a complete joke revolving around the word 'fail'. It was like the gingerbread console.
    Last edited by greatsirkain; June 7th, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
    when on thin ice; dance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

And now we find out about the NSA storing everyone's cell phone calls from 2007 to present from Verison and other major cell phone carriers. Talk about piracy, what gives the government the Right to invade my privicy and store my cell phone calls?
    I think they want to legalize all this stuff so that they can use it against us and claim it was some "hacker" and not them if/when we find out our systems have been hacked.
    Also, I don't see anyone promoting illegal activity here, we're just talking and last time I checked the 1st Amendment was still in effect and we could TALK about stuff without fear. Or was that only in the "Old" America?
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast