Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: USA to legalize rootkits, spyware, ransomware and trojans to combat piracy?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    5,990

    USA to legalize rootkits, spyware, ransomware and trojans to combat piracy?

    http://blog.emsisoft.com/2013/05/27/...combat-piracy/

    Just a few days ago the “Commission on the Theft of American Intellectual Property” released their 84-page report. Amidst a large amount of rather naive ideas there is one idea that strikes us as particularly insane: The report proposes the use of malware to determine whether or not you are pirating intellectual property and if you are, to lock your computer and holds all your files hostage until you call the police and confess to your crime:

    Additionally, software can be written that will allow only authorized users to open files containing valuable information. If an unauthorized person accesses the information, a range of actions might then occur. For example, the file could be rendered inaccessible and the unauthorized user’s computer could be locked down, with instructions on how to contact law enforcement to get the password needed to unlock the account. Such measures do not violate existing laws on the use of the Internet, yet they serve to blunt attacks and stabilize a cyber incident to provide both time and evidence for law enforcement to become involved.

    It gets even better:

    While not currently permitted under U.S. law, there are increasing calls for creating a more permissive environment for active network defense that allows companies not only to stabilize a situation but to take further steps, including actively retrieving stolen information, altering it within the intruder’s networks, or even destroying the information within an unauthorized network. Additional measures go further, including photographing the hacker using his own system’s camera, implanting malware in the hacker’s network, or even physically disabling or destroying the hacker’s own computer or network.

    Read more ....
    Actual report http://ipcommission.org/report/IP_Co...ort_052213.pdf

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Crossville, TN. USA
    Beans
    174
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: USA to legalize rootkits, spyware, ransomware and trojans to combat piracy?

    I've always felt that not allowing free downloads of music on the interweb but a bunch of B.S. Everyone knows that musicians make the majority of their money from Conserts and selling T-Shirts, ect. and not from CD's or music downloads.
    I think this is just another attemp by our government to subvert the interweb and take away our Freedom. We need to e-mail Congress and fight this with all we have. JMHO, YMMV.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    7,749

    Re: USA to legalize rootkits, spyware, ransomware and trojans to combat piracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    I've always felt that not allowing free downloads of music on the interweb but a bunch of B.S. Everyone knows that musicians make the majority of their money from Conserts and selling T-Shirts, ect. and not from CD's or music downloads.
    I think this is just another attemp by our government to subvert the interweb and take away our Freedom. We need to e-mail Congress and fight this with all we have. JMHO, YMMV.
    I am a musician, not a T-shirt designer. You do not have my permission to download my music for free. Please do not download my music for free! If you are stealing my music then I hope your computer gets malware and gets shut down.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Crossville, TN. USA
    Beans
    174
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: USA to legalize rootkits, spyware, ransomware and trojans to combat piracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    I am a musician, not a T-shirt designer. You do not have my permission to download my music for free. Please do not download my music for free! If you are stealing my music then I hope your computer gets malware and gets shut down.
    I've played guitar since the age of 5 and bass for the last 15 years and have dreamed of getting into a band although at 52 that dream is pretty much dead now. I would relish the idea of kids all over the world downloading MY music for FREE to play and enjoy. If all music is about for you is cash them maybe you should become a doctor or lawyer. For me music is about touching people's souls and money doesn't even enter into it. Besides, how many millions do the guys from Metallica really need?
    Heck, Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters gave away some of their music just to get the band into the lime light. Fame and reconition is where it's at as a musican, not money.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    7,749

    Re: USA to legalize rootkits, spyware, ransomware and trojans to combat piracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    I've played guitar since the age of 5 and bass for the last 15 years and have dreamed of getting into a band although at 52 that dream is pretty much dead now. I would relish the idea of kids all over the world downloading MY music for FREE to play and enjoy. If all music is about for you is cash them maybe you should become a doctor or lawyer. For me music is about touching people's souls and money doesn't even enter into it. Besides, how many millions do the guys from Metallica really need?
    Heck, Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters gave away some of their music just to get the band into the lime light. Fame and reconition is where it's at as a musican, not money.
    Shouldn't people be able to decide that for themselves? If you want to give your music away for free, then give it away for free; if you want to charge money, then charge money.

    I am shocked moderators have not closed this thread promoting illegal activities.
    Last edited by snowpine; June 6th, 2013 at 01:45 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    874

    Re: USA to legalize rootkits, spyware, ransomware and trojans to combat piracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post

    I am shocked moderators have not closed this thread promoting illegal activities.
    You mean rootkits and ransomeware?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1
    Beans
    4,110
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: USA to legalize rootkits, spyware, ransomware and trojans to combat piracy?

    I would i don't care cause i use linux, but this is a very slippery road and i don't want this to happen (and I hope I am not giving MS any ideas here):
    I am sure they will then attempt to ban Operating Systems/software that are much harder to infect if they succeeded in this and it will be illegal to use anything other than windows and IE

    I would like to see the publicly politicians tell the media industry 'you are drunk go home' (i hope that/this does not cross the politics line)
    I am sure that would violate a number of privacy and search and seizer laws
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    United States
    Beans
    105
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: USA to legalize rootkits, spyware, ransomware and trojans to combat piracy?

    I rarely say this, but I can't help but see just how stupid, nearsighted, and ironically ignorant this solution is to the actual situation involving piracy. Locking down a computer, or it's ISP access, like other companies want to do, is not the solution, and you can't get that software running on all systems anyway, so I can see a lot of people flocking to obscure Linux distros just so they can access their files. This won't stop piracy, it will encourage it to flock to other channels instead.

    God knows the performance hit this nonsense would cause too, knowing how bad Spyware can be at hogging resources to do its own thing, and that'd rustle a lot of jimmies in power users. Programs like this just would not see the widespread adoption it'd need to be truly effective in application.

    Why don't companies hire a small team of keyboard warriors on-site to surf Google all day, looking for torrents and warez sites hosting company property, (Seriously, it's not that hard to find most hosters of illegal content.) so they can report said sites and get them shut down? Oh wait, that would involve skimming the top off their profits just a tad to make sure their property is protected! The ever growing corporate greed for that bottom dollar in this country is starting to drive me insane.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Beans
    7

    Re: USA to legalize rootkits, spyware, ransomware and trojans to combat piracy?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnluke728 View Post
    Why don't companies hire a small team of keyboard warriors on-site to surf Google all day, looking for torrents and warez sites hosting company property, (Seriously, it's not that hard to find most hosters of illegal content.) so they can report said sites and get them shut down? Oh wait, that would involve skimming the top off their profits just a tad to make sure their property is protected! The ever growing corporate greed for that bottom dollar in this country is starting to drive me insane.
    But thats going off the assumption that higher ups have common sense :/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Mars
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: USA to legalize rootkits, spyware, ransomware and trojans to combat piracy?

    No, this is the state police wanting to have access to anything that you do in the interest to protect those poor, helpless and oft victimized multi-billion dollar corporations who's business models are from an age when the dodo bird was still running around. Basically, they're legalizing -- for themselves -- certain actions that would be considered immoral at best. The Russian Duma has done a similar thing in the past by legalizing the assassination of "terrorists", without clearly specifying what a terrorist is.

    The state grants itself vague and broad powers because what it currently has is not enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •