Thread: Ubuntu and openbox

Beans

Ubuntu and openbox

Openbox on Crunchbang (Debian-based) is a quick, no-nonsense interface, but lacks the wifi driver for the Realtek RTL8732ae on my Toshiba. I've got Xubuntu going on the computer, but would prefer to switch to Openbox. I assume this is possible because Openbox should run on most, if not all, linux implementations. What do I need to do to get Openbox running on Xubuntu?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu and openbox

I'd think that sudo apt-get openbox should do it. You could first run apt-cache show openbox to get a little more information. At your next log-in, you should see Openbox as an option.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu and openbox

Openbox comes with Lubuntu, and the simple Openbox window manager is already an option at the login screen of Lubuntu. (It is also used by LXDE, the desktop environment of Lubuntu).

I would support the advice by vasa1. Only if you have problems, for example, that some important configuration is missing, you can install lubuntu-desktop to get Openbox. (In that case you can remove packages, that came with the installation, but are not necessary for you.)