Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Old Pentium M Processor - Any Distros?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Re: Old Pentium M Processor - Any Distros?

Well i ended up jumping back down to 12.04 last night. I only need that computer to do 1 thing...Play videos online. For what ever reason 13.04 did not want to do that or at least not well. I was having issues with flash being glitchy and I had to steal the divx plugin from my desktop (with normal 13.04) to get divx to play but it was laggy. once I put 12.04 back on all those issues went away.

The way I see it is I have until october to come up with a new solution and by then. Besides i have been thinking of buying a raspbean PI since it will run XMBC and this old laptop wont.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DJWYMAN View Post
    Besides i have been thinking of buying a raspbean PI since it will run XMBC and this old laptop wont.
    Have a look at http://openelec.tv/ rather

Beans
    Hidden!

Well i ended up jumping back down to 12.04 last night. I only need that computer to do 1 thing...Play videos online. For what ever reason 13.04 did not want to do that or at least not well. I was having issues with flash being glitchy and I had to steal the divx plugin from my desktop (with normal 13.04) to get divx to play but it was laggy. once I put 12.04 back on all those issues went away.

The way I see it is I have until october to come up with a new solution and by then. Besides i have been thinking of buying a raspbean PI since it will run XMBC and this old laptop wont.
    It is a good idea to wait and see, as long as your present Lubuntu 12.04 is supported.

Keep this in your mind until October: If still problems with flash in Lubuntu 13.04 and 13.10, I suggest that you try

- Xubuntu 12.04, which has LTS until April 2015

- Continue with Lubuntu 12.04 but use only the simple window manager Openbox without any LXDE desktop environment. Openbox has LTS due to a special flavour of Kubuntu, so it should be safe. It is there already as a choice at the login screen, so you can try it. You see only a grey screen, but it is running. Right-click and you get a menu. Select the terminal window and you can do 'everything' from there (or choose the web browser, or exit directly from that menu).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Have a look at http://openelec.tv/ rather
    I would love to use that unforunatly xbmc does not support my graphics. It requires at least an intel 950 and and i have and 845.

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    It is a good idea to wait and see, as long as your present Lubuntu 12.04 is supported.

Keep this in your mind until October: If still problems with flash in Lubuntu 13.04 and 13.10, I suggest that you try

- Xubuntu 12.04, which has LTS until April 2015

- Continue with Lubuntu 12.04 but use only the simple window manager Openbox without any LXDE desktop environment. Openbox has LTS due to a special flavour of Kubuntu, so it should be safe. It is there already as a choice at the login screen, so you can try it. You see only a grey screen, but it is running. Right-click and you get a menu. Select the terminal window and you can do 'everything' from there (or choose the web browser, or exit directly from that menu).
    I will keep that in mind.

Beans

I would love to use that unforunatly xbmc does not support my graphics. It requires at least an intel 950 and and i have and 845.
    I meant for when you eventually get another machine.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I meant for when you eventually get another machine.
    oh ok yea I got you now. Yea that's why I am thinking about getting one of those raspberry PIs as that would be a perfect solution to what I already do with this old thing.

This thing was given too me and the fact that I got it working at all was a total surprise. I mean heck it is like 10 years old, the internal hard drive is dead, and the poor old processor runs at 100% when doing anything other than just staring at the screen saver. but it at this moment it is doing what I want it to do.

edit:

change to my current setups I ended up hooking up my desktop which is a much newer system up to my tv for now since I can run XBMC on it and plugged the old laptop up to my desktop monitor and I am going to use it as a desktop for now and see how long I can do that before I miss my more modern spec computer (2.66ghz core 2 duo, 2gb ram, radeon 5450 video card all still old stuff but newer than the setups we are talking about here) or until I get something else I can use as a media player.
    Last edited by DJWYMAN; June 12th, 2013 at 01:29 AM.

Beans

EDIT: I just looked up fake PAE for Pentium M. It turns out you can ignore most of this message.

Wait a minute. Are you sure you need another distro? I'm currently running Lubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu Classic on a Pentium III with 369 MB. The release notes say you can't run the installer on a non-PAE system, but it doesn't say anything about updating a non-pae system. Ultimately I updated to this version, and it just installed the non-PAE kernel.

And as it turned out, I have PAE, as you apparently do, even though I have no reason to use it. There's more discussion of this here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2102509 .

Besides, I'm surprised you can't run Windows XP on it. I use that old computer mostly for Windows. I would say it runs even a bit faster than Lubuntu.

Yeah, I know you've been there and back again, but I have to wonder if it's for nothing.
    Last edited by VanillaMozilla; June 12th, 2013 at 02:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaMozilla View Post
    EDIT: I just looked up fake PAE for Pentium M. It turns out you can ignore most of this message.

Wait a minute. Are you sure you need another distro? I'm currently running Lubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu Classic on a Pentium III with 369 MB. The release notes say you can't run the installer on a non-PAE system, but it doesn't say anything about updating a non-pae system. Ultimately I updated to this version, and it just installed the non-PAE kernel.

And as it turned out, I have PAE, as you apparently do, even though I have no reason to use it. There's more discussion of this here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2102509 .

Besides, I'm surprised you can't run Windows XP on it. I use that old computer mostly for Windows. I would say it runs even a bit faster than Lubuntu.

Yeah, I know you've been there and back again, but I have to wonder if it's for nothing.
    the problem with with the pentium m is not that it does not have PAE it is that it does not have the flag saying it has PAE which is why when you try to install a distro that is newer than 12.04 it will not let you without one of the PAE fake workarounds.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just for the record I have an old laptop with the M pentium processor running my sound system and the OS is Ubuntu Studio 12.04 (non PAE). It installed without a hitch and works great. It is a little slow booting, but once it is up and running with the software loaded it runs great. It has the FCE desktop which is very easy to use.
    I didn't look back on all the posts in the thread, but in case this was not mention I thought I would jut post here.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use Bodhi 2.3 version
    It runs very well on a non pae machine
    Try it - I was very impressed with it

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast