Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Old Pentium M Processor - Any Distros?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles La
    Beans
    46
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Old Pentium M Processor - Any Distros?

    Well i ended up jumping back down to 12.04 last night. I only need that computer to do 1 thing...Play videos online. For what ever reason 13.04 did not want to do that or at least not well. I was having issues with flash being glitchy and I had to steal the divx plugin from my desktop (with normal 13.04) to get divx to play but it was laggy. once I put 12.04 back on all those issues went away.

    The way I see it is I have until october to come up with a new solution and by then. Besides i have been thinking of buying a raspbean PI since it will run XMBC and this old laptop wont.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    5,991

    Re: Old Pentium M Processor - Any Distros?

    Quote Originally Posted by DJWYMAN View Post
    Besides i have been thinking of buying a raspbean PI since it will run XMBC and this old laptop wont.
    Have a look at http://openelec.tv/ rather

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Old Pentium M Processor - Any Distros?

    Quote Originally Posted by DJWYMAN View Post
    Well i ended up jumping back down to 12.04 last night. I only need that computer to do 1 thing...Play videos online. For what ever reason 13.04 did not want to do that or at least not well. I was having issues with flash being glitchy and I had to steal the divx plugin from my desktop (with normal 13.04) to get divx to play but it was laggy. once I put 12.04 back on all those issues went away.

    The way I see it is I have until october to come up with a new solution and by then. Besides i have been thinking of buying a raspbean PI since it will run XMBC and this old laptop wont.
    It is a good idea to wait and see, as long as your present Lubuntu 12.04 is supported.

    Keep this in your mind until October: If still problems with flash in Lubuntu 13.04 and 13.10, I suggest that you try

    - Xubuntu 12.04, which has LTS until April 2015

    - Continue with Lubuntu 12.04 but use only the simple window manager Openbox without any LXDE desktop environment. Openbox has LTS due to a special flavour of Kubuntu, so it should be safe. It is there already as a choice at the login screen, so you can try it. You see only a grey screen, but it is running. Right-click and you get a menu. Select the terminal window and you can do 'everything' from there (or choose the web browser, or exit directly from that menu).

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles La
    Beans
    46
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Old Pentium M Processor - Any Distros?

    Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Have a look at http://openelec.tv/ rather
    I would love to use that unforunatly xbmc does not support my graphics. It requires at least an intel 950 and and i have and 845.

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    It is a good idea to wait and see, as long as your present Lubuntu 12.04 is supported.

    Keep this in your mind until October: If still problems with flash in Lubuntu 13.04 and 13.10, I suggest that you try

    - Xubuntu 12.04, which has LTS until April 2015

    - Continue with Lubuntu 12.04 but use only the simple window manager Openbox without any LXDE desktop environment. Openbox has LTS due to a special flavour of Kubuntu, so it should be safe. It is there already as a choice at the login screen, so you can try it. You see only a grey screen, but it is running. Right-click and you get a menu. Select the terminal window and you can do 'everything' from there (or choose the web browser, or exit directly from that menu).
    I will keep that in mind.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    5,991

    Re: Old Pentium M Processor - Any Distros?

    Quote Originally Posted by DJWYMAN View Post
    I would love to use that unforunatly xbmc does not support my graphics. It requires at least an intel 950 and and i have and 845.
    I meant for when you eventually get another machine.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles La
    Beans
    46
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Old Pentium M Processor - Any Distros?

    Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I meant for when you eventually get another machine.
    oh ok yea I got you now. Yea that's why I am thinking about getting one of those raspberry PIs as that would be a perfect solution to what I already do with this old thing.

    This thing was given too me and the fact that I got it working at all was a total surprise. I mean heck it is like 10 years old, the internal hard drive is dead, and the poor old processor runs at 100% when doing anything other than just staring at the screen saver. but it at this moment it is doing what I want it to do.


    edit:

    change to my current setups I ended up hooking up my desktop which is a much newer system up to my tv for now since I can run XBMC on it and plugged the old laptop up to my desktop monitor and I am going to use it as a desktop for now and see how long I can do that before I miss my more modern spec computer (2.66ghz core 2 duo, 2gb ram, radeon 5450 video card all still old stuff but newer than the setups we are talking about here) or until I get something else I can use as a media player.
    Last edited by DJWYMAN; June 12th, 2013 at 01:29 AM.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    458

    Re: Old Pentium M Processor - Any Distros?

    EDIT: I just looked up fake PAE for Pentium M. It turns out you can ignore most of this message.

    Wait a minute. Are you sure you need another distro? I'm currently running Lubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu Classic on a Pentium III with 369 MB. The release notes say you can't run the installer on a non-PAE system, but it doesn't say anything about updating a non-pae system. Ultimately I updated to this version, and it just installed the non-PAE kernel.

    And as it turned out, I have PAE, as you apparently do, even though I have no reason to use it. There's more discussion of this here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2102509 .

    Besides, I'm surprised you can't run Windows XP on it. I use that old computer mostly for Windows. I would say it runs even a bit faster than Lubuntu.

    Yeah, I know you've been there and back again, but I have to wonder if it's for nothing.
    Last edited by VanillaMozilla; June 12th, 2013 at 02:51 AM.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lake Charles La
    Beans
    46
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Old Pentium M Processor - Any Distros?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaMozilla View Post
    EDIT: I just looked up fake PAE for Pentium M. It turns out you can ignore most of this message.

    Wait a minute. Are you sure you need another distro? I'm currently running Lubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu Classic on a Pentium III with 369 MB. The release notes say you can't run the installer on a non-PAE system, but it doesn't say anything about updating a non-pae system. Ultimately I updated to this version, and it just installed the non-PAE kernel.

    And as it turned out, I have PAE, as you apparently do, even though I have no reason to use it. There's more discussion of this here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2102509 .

    Besides, I'm surprised you can't run Windows XP on it. I use that old computer mostly for Windows. I would say it runs even a bit faster than Lubuntu.

    Yeah, I know you've been there and back again, but I have to wonder if it's for nothing.
    the problem with with the pentium m is not that it does not have PAE it is that it does not have the flag saying it has PAE which is why when you try to install a distro that is newer than 12.04 it will not let you without one of the PAE fake workarounds.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wabasha MN
    Beans
    2,274
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Old Pentium M Processor - Any Distros?

    Just for the record I have an old laptop with the M pentium processor running my sound system and the OS is Ubuntu Studio 12.04 (non PAE). It installed without a hitch and works great. It is a little slow booting, but once it is up and running with the software loaded it runs great. It has the FCE desktop which is very easy to use.
    I didn't look back on all the posts in the thread, but in case this was not mention I thought I would jut post here.
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Witham, Essex
    Beans
    5
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Old Pentium M Processor - Any Distros?

    I use Bodhi 2.3 version
    It runs very well on a non pae machine
    Try it - I was very impressed with it

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •