Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Old Pentium M Processor - Any Distros?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Old Pentium M Processor - Any Distros?

Quote Originally Posted by punk4rock View Post
    I've installed Lubuntu 12.04 (which runs like a dream) because of it's old kernel but [...]
    Personally, I run Peppermint OS (for too many reasons to list here) on all of my portables (bootable USB stick / Netbook / Laptop).

Example...

ASUS Eee PC 1000HD Netbook / Peppermint Two OS (Lubuntu Fork) / Conky 1.8.0 / ConkyWX 0.7.9-1

* Please note the CPU / kernel version.

Peppermint OS is a Lubuntu fork.

Don't let all the Cloud tweaks put you off (if you're not into Cloud computing). It'll operate like any other conventional distro, if you wish.

Put another way, Peppermint OS doesn't force you onto the cloud, like Google Chrome OS. But, it IS available (pre-programmed). It's your choice, to use the Cloud computing tweaks, or not. And, the tweaks don't get in your way, if you decide NOT to use them...

Good luck!
    Last edited by VinDSL; June 5th, 2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Added screenie
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

as i understand only the desktop in Lubuntu is not supported beyond oct 2013. so having 12.04 and adding a PPA for later LXDE versions should solve it, no? perhaps that's what LXLE did. i don't know.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Strictly speaking I didn't try LXLE, only Lubuntu 12.04.

Pcmanfm, file-roller and gpicview all had their problems but are in a better condition now.

Of course the choice depends on how much people use these applications.
    yea, file roller has a crappy bug that won't let you drag drop the archive to extract it sometimes. Really annoys me at times.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by DJWYMAN View Post
    I ended up taking your advise I used the "installed system" version of the fake PAE since that was easiest for me and I could do it from my other computer since I am using an external hard drive to begin with(it was actually easier than the way I installed 12.04 because I did not have to open up my other computer and unplug my harddrives, sure I could have installed it without doing that but it kept grub from mucking up things and it was the way I found on a tutorial on installing to a usb drive.) While I did not have many bugs when i was running 12.04, 13.04 seems to be a little cleaner looking.
    I'm glad the fake-PAE "installed system" works for you. If you have any issues or questions about it, please tell us. We need feed-back to improve it

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by punk4rock View Post
    Yeah I was pleasantly surprised at how well Gnome Classic ran.

I tried LXDE but there was a strange bug were half the desktop background is black and it seems to only run slightly faster compared to Gnome Classic...

I might try XFCE on it to see how it compares to Gnome Classic performance-wise.
    I'm glad you found a distro and flavour that works well for you! This is the charm with linux, there are many good solutions.

Good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I'm glad the fake-PAE "installed system" works for you. If you have any issues or questions about it, please tell us. We need feed-back to improve it
    the instructions were pretty straight forward. I did have to redo it though because I broke somethings trying to change the name of the computer and the user but that was my fault.

Beans
    Hidden!

Changing the name of the computer should be easy. I think it is enough to edit /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts. But I think it is easier to create a new user instead of changing the existing user. But don't remove the original one unless the new user is member of the sudo group and you have verified that it is able to perform system tasks.
    Last edited by sudodus; June 6th, 2013 at 07:03 AM. Reason: typing error

Beans
    Distro

Changing the name of the computer should be easy. I think it is enough to edit /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts. But I think it is easier to create a new user instead of changing the existing user. But don't remove the original one unless the new user is member of the sudo group and you have verified that it is be able to perform system tasks.
    well you hit the nail on the head as to what I did wrong on the user part. on the host part I only changed the hostname and didn't change the hosts so it caused problems as well. I just went ahead and started over and now it works fine.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by DJWYMAN View Post
    well you hit the nail on the head as to what I did wrong on the user part. on the host part I only changed the hostname and didn't change the hosts so it caused problems as well. I just went ahead and started over and now it works fine.
    I will add tips about this in the wiki page instructions

Beans
    Distro

I will add tips about this in the wiki page instructions
    good Idea so people don't make the same mistakes I made.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast