Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Pentium M Processor - Any Distros?

Beans

Re: Old Pentium M Processor - Any Distros?

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    The advantage with Lubuntu is that it is ready to run for multimedia and web browsing, and it is easy to add software.

My experience of Debian stable is that it is much harder to get these typical end user tasks running. So what you save avoiding fake-PAE is lost in installing and configuring software.
    Have you used Crunchbang? I don't recall having to install any extra stuff to make it work?

Beans
    Hidden!

I tried Crunchbang long ago, and don't remember exactly. You have probably tried it after me and know better about #! mips

I have tried LMDE though, and I like it (but it has some rough edges, nothing to recommend to beginners).

But there is also LXLE (Lubuntu Extra Life Extension), that is promising support during the whole Ubuntu 12.04 LTS lifetime (until April 2017) for a special Lubuntu flavour, maintained by ronniew.

@punk4rock, you can also try LXLE, it might be perfect for this case, ready to run out of the box. The only small questionmark is if it wants more than 512 MB RAM. I have tried it with 1 GB.
    Last edited by sudodus; June 4th, 2013 at 07:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I am glad I found this topic My mom gave me an old dell latitude 505d with a pentium M that had a dying hard drive that I made a PloP cd to boot to usb for and installed Lubuntu 12.04 on an external usb drive and it is running great and now I use it to play streaming videos and such on my tv but I was worried about the fact that it will not be able to be updated after October. But now I am glad to know that there is a Lubuntu that is LTS in the way of LXLE.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

As LXLE it built on Lubuntu 12.04 it has its share of bugs. I would recommend that you get to 13.04, though it takes a little more work.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I installed Debian 7 "Wheezy" on it with Gnome Classic as the DE and it is working like a dream, it's just a fraction slower than LXDE core. It idles at just over 100MB RAM, which I am very satisfied with. It seems to run faster my other half's netbook with Windows 7 and 1GB of RAM haha!

Very happy to have an up to date stable distro that works well on it
    Last edited by punk4rock; June 5th, 2013 at 09:12 AM.

Beans

Personally I would rather try XFCE as it will be lighter I reckon while still providing full functionality but if it works for you and you are happy then that's all that matters.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    As LXLE it built on Lubuntu 12.04 it has its share of bugs. I would recommend that you get to 13.04, though it takes a little more work.
    may i ask what strange bugs in lxle? anything in particular?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    I ended up taking your advise I used the "installed system" version of the fake PAE since that was easiest for me and I could do it from my other computer since I am using an external hard drive to begin with(it was actually easier than the way I installed 12.04 because I did not have to open up my other computer and unplug my harddrives, sure I could have installed it without doing that but it kept grub from mucking up things and it was the way I found on a tutorial on installing to a usb drive.) While I did not have many bugs when i was running 12.04, 13.04 seems to be a little cleaner looking.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ronniew View Post
    may i ask what strange bugs in lxle? anything in particular?
    Strictly speaking I didn't try LXLE, only Lubuntu 12.04.

Pcmanfm, file-roller and gpicview all had their problems but are in a better condition now.

Of course the choice depends on how much people use these applications.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Personally I would rather try XFCE as it will be lighter I reckon while still providing full functionality but if it works for you and you are happy then that's all that matters.
    Yeah I was pleasantly surprised at how well Gnome Classic ran.

I tried LXDE but there was a strange bug were half the desktop background is black and it seems to only run slightly faster compared to Gnome Classic...

I might try XFCE on it to see how it compares to Gnome Classic performance-wise.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast