Thread: Does Apple Thunderbolt display work with MacBook Pro Retina and Ubuntu?

Beans

Does Apple Thunderbolt display work with MacBook Pro Retina and Ubuntu?

Before falling to much in love with the 27" thunderbolt display from Apple, does it work under Ubuntu 13.04 on the MacBooc Pro Retina?

If not, are there good alternatives?

Cheers,

Rainer

Beans

Re: Does Apple Thunderbolt display work with MacBook Pro Retina and Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by RMKrug View Post
    Before falling to much in love with the 27" thunderbolt display from Apple, does it work under Ubuntu 13.04 on the MacBooc Pro Retina?

If not, are there good alternatives?
    Unfortunately, no it does not. I'm using Ubuntu 13.04 on a 2011 15" MacBook (the model prior to the Retina display). The port extender features work if the monitor is plugged in while booting, but it does not work when plugged in after boot, and the display briefly works during the boot sequence, but doesn't seem to work after logging in at all.

I really love the premise of a large super hi-res monitor with embedded port extender functionality and a laptop power cord to minimize clutter.

Beans

On Macbook Pro Retina it works atleast so that you plug it in after booting (I use it at work everyday), I have it connected to a normal lcd with a thunderbolt -> dvi adapter. Also HDMI works the same way. Not 100% sure about apple's display.

You have to have nvidia proprietary drivers installed.

EDIT: looks like Apple's displays are thunderbolt only etc, might work or might not Anyway thunderbolt -> dvi with non-apple display works.
    Last edited by ksatta1; July 1st, 2013 at 06:36 PM.

Beans

I have a macbook pro 15". Thunderbolt display worked after I installed the nvidia driver. It works for the most part, but I cant suspend/hibernate and resume - display doesnt come back.
    I cannot plugin/unplug the monitor after booting up. Have to plug it in before bootup.

usb and ethernet work fine.

Beans

Hi all,

has the 13.10 version improved anything in the thunderbolt display support ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vincouille View Post
    Hi all,

has the 13.10 version improved anything in the thunderbolt display support ?
    No my experience with 13.10 sounds the same as kirankom's. The propriety driver works fine with thunderbolt displays if you plug in the monitor before ubuntu boots. However, strangely enough, I am able to wake up the thunderbolt display fine, but when using my laptop screen if my system goes to sleep then the display doesn't wake up and goes to this strange blurred image, and I need to hard-reset the computer. This blurry image doesn't happen if I use ubuntu's display driver but then I can't connect to my thunderbolt display at home (other external displays work fine though).

Beans

I have Apple's Home Cinema Display (the predecesor to the Thunderbolt Display). I've managed to make it work using nVidia's proprietary drivers. However, I can't make the display work using Intel's GPU.