Thread: getting tixati (torrent client) to run without root

Beans

getting tixati (torrent client) to run without root

Hi, I'm running Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal.

I've downloaded and installed the Tixati torrent client, however when I open it simply by clicking, it tells me that my download folder /mnt/teradrive/Downloads could not be found. I discovered that if I ran the client as root it had no such troubles finding the folder, however I know that it is not best practice for me to run everyday applications as root. How would I modify the permissions so that the program is allowed to read and write to this directory?

Also, I've edited the /etc/rc.local file to run "/usr/bin/tixati %F" on startup - however I believe that rc.local runs commands as root, so what would I need to do once I fix this to make sure the program is just run normally at startup?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Toitovna; June 5th, 2013 at 03:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: getting tixati (torrent client) to run without root

Hi.

It seems you want your torrent files to download to the Downloads directory of a drive you've mounted in /mnt? How is this drive being mounted? Can you verify that when you startup your computer the drive is actually mounted in /mnt/teradrive? If it isn't you're not writing your files where you think you are.

If it is acceptable for Tixati to run after you've logged on you could look at this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1518818
    Never upgrade your working system to the newest release without thorough testing on the actual hardware you will be running it on.
    Never perform a system update in a live session
    Installed Ubuntu Touch 1.0 on my Nexus 7. And loving it!

Beans

Hey arubislander, yes teradrive is one of three HDDs I have mounted in /mnt and that's done in the fstab file. The folder is definitely there, I can see it + all my other mounted folders with my file manager, plus tixati can find it when I run as root, it's weird...

I should also mention that before I used this client, I was using qBitTorrent, which downloaded to that same folder without any difficulties (when run as normal user).

but thanks for that link, I wasn't aware of that method

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Toitovna,

In that case, check the permissions on the the /mnt/teradrive/Downloads folder. Is the drive formatted as ext3/4 or as FAT32/NTFS? if the former you can change the permissions with
    Code:
    $ sudo chown -R [your-username].[your-usergroup] /mnt/teradrive/Downloads
    And all shoud be well after that.
    Never upgrade your working system to the newest release without thorough testing on the actual hardware you will be running it on.
    Never perform a system update in a live session
    Installed Ubuntu Touch 1.0 on my Nexus 7. And loving it!

Beans

sorry should have mentioned that the drive is ntfs .. will I need to add in some other variable to chown to make it work?

Beans

ok so I did my own googling and I've now edited the fstab file with my uid and gid so that I'm allowed to access the whole /mnt/teradrive folder, and put a link to the application into ~/.config/autostart. Everything is now working as it should! (marked as solved)

thanks,

toitovna