Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for interesting games.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Looking for interesting games.

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    On the topic of LoL... I just spent two days to get it to run decently under Wine... still couldn't access the store in game however... but I digress. They added something like 4 more games to the Humble Bundle (one which is Oil Rush that is super nice graphically).

I feel you man
    10 years ago when I primarily played Steam games I was so sad that they never worked "properly" under Linux forcing me to keep dualbooting. Now that I've stopped playing Steam games - they've been ported. And now I have the same problem with LoL

Ah the humanities.
    Hope Riot releases a Linux client though.
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Beans

You'd need DosBox to play it and it's graphically simple but I enjoyed it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkla...8video_game%29
    Just checked to make sure you can still get it, and you can, here http://www.abandonia.com/en/search_abandonia/darklands
    It's set in medievil Gemany ( that geographical area anyway ). Praying for aid to a wide range of Catholic saints, attending mass etc is part of the game. So is alchemy. The opponents are witches, bad feudal lords and various mythical beasts, deamons and worse. It has what is still be the best way of generating characters I've seen. In it's graphically quiet way the game is brilliant.

There's quite a lot on that site, a good site for old games and one can trust them. If someone renews or buys copywright they leave the review up but take down the link or replace it with the place you can buy it so no fear of accidential infringement.

Worth a browse, because the older games couldn't do amazing graphics or sounds they had to attract in other ways. Gameplay, intellectual challenge and interest was far more important. So there are quite a lot of grapically poor by modern standards but very interesting gamewise things. Of course there are some utter turkeys too, every era produces a high percentage of that.

Edit

I just nipped back with a view to getting it again but darklands seems to have been sold. Irksome, how can something which has gone into the public domain and no longer belongs to anyone be purchaced by someone who had nothing to do with making it anyway but who can then proceed to charge for it. Ah well; a lot of old pc games are being brought up with a view to re-releace on mobile devices ( most phones have higher spec's than the old desktops did ). If we are fortunate they may have got it with a view to tarting it up and puting out a modern version, it'd look amazing with 0ad type graphics but it's be a lot of work. Sorry about that, must have gone in the last few months. Abandonia have replaced the "get it" link with a "buy it" link, so it's still available for cash.

Another edit

I thought I'd chase this up to see if maybe it was only the original owners renewing copywright ( which is actually fair enough, it was their work after all and books get 50/75 years depending on where the authors live ). Not microprose anyway it's this lot http://www.gog.com/ and looking at the titles they really have gone to town, I hope the original authors, or their families got something on the deal. The same thing is happening to pd films too.
    Just thought I'd chase it up as there are a few scams where individuals try it on. As they didn't write the game I think it'd be fair to find out if they got global copywright or just one or a few nations. If you are lucky they may not have covered your area, if they didn't and you could find it from somewhere else they didn't cover, it would be legal to download. Otherwise $5.99, who knows maybe the people who actually did the work might get some of that which would be just. Oh and I suppose if anyone got it free in the last few years you shouldn't keep it.
    Last edited by houseworkshy; June 6th, 2013 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Out of date info.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I'd be happy if there were Linux Hidden Object games available. Granted I can run some Windows ones using WINE, but it would be nice if there were Some native Linux ones.
    I'm a man, I can re-install, if I have to, I guess!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I used to like Utopia and Earth 2025, text strategy games I stumbled upon when I was looking for information on echelon & the carnivore system 10 or more years ago...They were hosted there (echelon.com). Think they're hosted at swirve.com now. They were free and very interesting, ohhh the people you meet
    when on thin ice; dance

Beans

Hi, The game A Slower Speed of Light is not working for me. It gets to the main menu, but the options to open a new game, etc, are not selectable and do nothing when mouse clicked or keyboard tab+enter. Does the game work for anyone else? I know it's beta, but wondering if it's a problem with the game or my system.

Beans

There are plenty of good games on GOG.

I would suggest you try Thief: Deadly Shadows (there are widescreen fixes etc on the net) and there are also the two games before it, Thief: The Dark Project & Thief II: Metal Age. There are custom scene levels etc. It's a really an awesome series. I can't wait for Thief 4 to be released!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I would suggest you try Thief: Deadly Shadows (there are widescreen fixes etc on the net) and there are also the two games before it, Thief: The Dark Project & Thief II: Metal Age. There are custom scene levels etc. It's a really an awesome series. I can't wait for Thief 4 to be released!
    I second this. Thief series are unique and are the most interesting, exciting and fun game series I've played. BTW, Thief 4 is supposed to be released next year, according to Wikipedia; hope they don't delay it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12