Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: wich soft to reframe a photo (Gimp seems awfull)

Beans

Re: wich soft to reframe a photo (Gimp seems awfull)

thanks !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by FroggySeven View Post
    bad new : darktable cuts much too much the borders of the photo during rotations...

good new : with Gimp, it's possible to move strait with the mouse the center of the rotation, that translates the photo (horizontal and vertical moves are just reversed).
    It's not so efficient than photoshop's interface, but allows quite good to tests what will do the rectangle-crop after the rotation.

(but I always wonder how to participate to gimp's developpement...)

If you want to combine your work with Ubuntu, you can for example look at the GIMP bugs in Ubuntu's bugtracker.
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gimp

I sometimes compile versions from source into my system to test the bugs I have reported, if they are fixed on my system. On the other hand I like testing new features in early stage of development.

I'm not a GIMP developer, but I am a member of the Ubuntu Bugsquad team.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just curious what you mean by "automatic reframing"? When you crop an image to pick out a portion of it, how would any program know what part of the image you wanted (or how far to rotate it which way)? If you want certain pixel dimensions for a crop in gimp you can always drag a horizontal or vertical edge (dimensions show at the bottom) or move the area to be cropped once you drag the edges to a particular size. Image > Scale Image can resize either the original image or whatever you have cropped. If I want to crop something that does not end up at the dimensions I want, I do the math so horizontal and vertical ratio will then scale to the size I want to end up at.

In gimp if you crop and rotate separately, you can always Edit > Undo multiple times before you save it, or File > Revert to completely reload the original image and start over.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz, 8 GB, nvidia GTX 550 Ti 32" 1080p | i7-4700, 8 GB, Intel HD 4600/nvidia GTX 765M 15.6" 1080p | etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Here is how you can do what you need (crop+rotate image) in GIMP:

1. Open the image.
    2. Select Rotate tool, and then in the Rotate options panel, make sure Clipping is set to "Crop with aspect", and then go ahead and rotate the image the way you want.
    3. After the image is rotated, go to Image > Autocrop Image.

Done.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123