Thread: which 3D printer for Ubuntu ?

Beans

Question which 3D printer for Ubuntu ?

I would be glad to buy a 3D printer, and not to have to use windows XP for it
    (as my extremly old scanner and even my quite recent Samsung Laser Color...).

At least, if no 3D printer match with Ubuntu, which one could read 3D object descriptions made with Ubuntu free soft ?

Thanks a lot for your help !!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: which 3D printer for Ubuntu ?

You're kidding -- right?? The "most affordable" 3D printer out there is $1300 USD.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Mark: so what's your point? [smile]

To the OP: have a look at this: https://store.makerbot.com/replicator2.html

You might find lots more info by Google: 3D printer Ubuntu
    and other variations, such as "printing" and "linux".

The difference between men and boys? The cost of their toys.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    Mark: so what's your point? [smile]
    OK ... point taken ...

But, what I probably SHOULD have said is that it's hard enough to get even basic printer functions working in Linux -- and that's for relatively affordable $100 USD printers.

Just trying to let the OP know that they're looking at a LOT of money for a printer, that in all likelyhood, is either not going to work at all in Linux, or work poorly.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

gordins : I have seen makerboot's softs called 123D "something" (depends what you do with it).
    The good piece of news is that it is freeware. The bad one, that it works only with windows 7 32/64 and Mac. That's all folks :/ !?

Mark : I understand (now ). Of course I won't throw away the 3D printer if it doesn't work with Ubuntu. I'll use it with windows, as my old scanner, and not-so-old printer.

But in fact, in my search, I discovred that you can send your 3D files to a professionnal who 3Dprints it and send it to you.

it allows top results with resine-3Dprinter (that this time are really too expensive for me !).

So I think I'll rather now look for a CAD soft with Ubuntu that makes 3D files professionals can read.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    ...But, what I probably SHOULD have said is that it's hard enough to get even basic printer functions working in Linux -- and that's for relatively affordable $100 USD printers....
    Sorry, this is off-topic, but my experience has been just the opposite over the past three years. I try about one new version of distro a month (almost all in the *buntu family) and over that time, I run Printers or Printing or whatever it's called today, select "add", Network Printer, and select my Brother laser which is cabled to my router, then it's OK, continue, proceed or whatever it takes to say "yes," and the printer works perfectly.

I also connected an old Lexmark which never used to work, and Ubuntu said, "do you want to use that printer which just appeared?" I said OK. And it was OK.

Two printers, lots of Linux versions, I don't even have to look for drivers. "It just works!"