Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WinFF issue

Beans

Re: WinFF issue

I forgot about the directory in the example. I updated it.

Beans

Also why does a 1.7GB file turn into a 40.1GB file after the convert? What makes the file so big? Surely lossless just means that the file quality is not reduced in any way, not that it is HUGE?

Another thing, the files I am trying to convert are MTS, H264 video and stereo AC3 audio. Can I just copy the encoding setting from the MTS and put them in the mkv? For example:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mkv
    or is this the same as just changing the file extension?

Would doing something like that reduce the file size?

I really don't know much about digital video.

Thank you!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    I forgot about the directory in the example. I updated it.
    Thanks, is the input directory where you wrote "in"?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic Tom View Post
    Also why does a 1.7GB file turn into a 40.1GB file after the convert? What makes the file so big? Surely lossless just means that the file quality is not reduced in any way, not that it is HUGE?
    Lossless is generally huge. I suggested a lossless format because you said the video was choppy. I assumed you meant it was playing choppy in your editor. Although the lossless file is obese it should be easier for the editor to decode, so hopefully resulting in something easier to edit. The lossless files are meant to be temporary just so you have a format that is editor friendly in addition to not losing any quality due to the extra step of converting.

Another thing, the files I am trying to convert are MTS, H264 video and stereo AC3 audio. Can I just copy the encoding setting from the MTS and put them in the mkv?
    That is stream copying, or re-muxing. You can try it, but I doubt it will help because the H.264 video is probably the culprit.

or is this the same as just changing the file extension?
    It is different since you are copying the video and audio from one container format to another. See What is a Codec? What is a Container? What is the difference?

Would doing something like that reduce the file size?
    No, unless the input file contains multiple video and audio streams. By default these additional streams will be ignored by ffmpeg unless you tell it not to with the "-map" option (see stream selection).

Thanks, is the input directory where you wrote "in"?
    You mean in the "for loop"? No, the example assumes you are in the directory containing the videos you want to convert.

At this point the first step is to see if the lossless version is an actual improvement over the original. Is it choppy too?

Beans

The (losslessly converted) files convert fine and work okay when editing, certainly much better than the MTS files. The only thing is they are huge and I feel they are slowing down editing as they are having to be streamed from the disk constantly (and that is slow with files that big!). The origional files were not choppy when played back, it was when they were converted by using the instructions in the link the other guy posted that they were choppy.

How can I modify that batch convert code so the input directory can be specified? The only reason I ask is because I am writing a simple GUI python script so that I can achieve this quicker (and learn python).

Beans

How can I modify that batch convert code so the input directory can be specified?
    What have you tried? Some basic experimentation and research may prove to be faster than my replies. Here's a lazy method:

Code:
    cd /path/to/directory && for f in *.MTS; do ...
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; June 12th, 2013 at 08:31 PM.

Beans

Awesome thanks! Sorry if I'm being a pain.

Beans

Okay so if I write
    Code:
    for f in INPUT_DIRECTORY/*.MTS; do ffmpeg -i "$f" -vcodec huffyuv -acodec pcm_s16le -ac 2 OUTPUT_DIRECTORY/"${f%.MTS}.mkv"; done
    The files end up being outputted to OUTPUT_DIRECTORY//INPUT_DIRECTORY/*.mkv which of course does not exist. How can I stop this from happening?
    Last edited by Toxic Tom; June 12th, 2013 at 01:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Give a full path e.g

Code:
    for f in /home/merrattic/input/*.MTS; do ffmpeg -i "$f" -vcodec huffyuv -acodec pcm_s16le -ac 2 /home/merrattic/output/"${f%.MTS}.mkv"; done
    The best things in life are free, so what are we paying for?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Merrattic View Post
    Give a full path e.g

Code:
    for f in /home/merrattic/input/*.MTS; do ffmpeg -i "$f" -vcodec huffyuv -acodec pcm_s16le -ac 2 /home/merrattic/output/"${f%.MTS}.mkv"; done
    Yes that's what I did

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast