Thread: which of these 2 laptops is a better buy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

which of these 2 laptops is a better buy

2 laptops are an option. things that will be done on them: web browsing, watching HD videos, watching pictures, office work. due to office work it might be necessary to run MS office either via wine or inside a virtual box (Xp+MS office). this could also happen with a few other programmes though not necessarily (depends how well printer and scanner will work with linux as i haven't tested those two yet). Kubuntu 12.04 will be used.

a Dell that comes preloaded with Ubuntu (12.04)
    Dell Inspiron N3521 1,8 GHz
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    750 GB SATA, 5400 + DVD/RW
    4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    TFT LCD screen

+has low power i3 and Intel GPU
    +is slim
    -poor battery
    -it doens't seem like there is a VGA socket on it
    -glare display

an HP that comes preloaded with Suse Enteprise linux (but works well with Ubuntu 12.04)
    HP ProBook 4545s 2,5 GHz
    AMD A4 4300M (2,5 GHz)
    AMD Radeon HD 7650M 2 GB
    4 GB DDR3, 1333 MHz
    750 GB SATA II, 5400 + DVD/RW
    HD LED screen

+screen is matte
    +very good battery
    +has VGA out socket
    +AMD GPU is descent
    -the CPU/GPU combo works nicely now, however what happens later in linux, when AMD decides to drop support, is anyone's guess
    - design is not so slim/slick

so which one of these two would be best for the jobs described above?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Re: which of these 2 laptops is a better buy

Check this review of the HP:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-...k.87595.0.html

Probook is of much higher build quality than the inspiron (and thus more expensive), it's got vga out too if you need that. Its CPU is sadly not pretty good in terms of speed or power consumption (35W TDP compared to 17W TDP from the i3-3217U on the inspiron, the "U" stands for ultra low voltage). I'm assuming the greater power draw is solved with a larger (and heavier) battery on the HP?.

About the AMD APU+discrete graphics on Linux thingie you'll have to wait for someone with more knowledge on the subject to come by, what i hear is it's not very good on linux yet, but maybe i'm mistaken. (Usually intel or nvidia is a safer bet).

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    Kubuntu 12.04 will be used.

a Dell that comes preloaded with Ubuntu (12.04)

-it doens't seem like there is a VGA socket on it
    according to a web page there is HDMI output. It is correct, if so, can you use that instead?
    an HP that comes preloaded with Suse Enteprise linux (but works well with Ubuntu 12.04)
    HP ProBook 4545s 2,5 GHz

+AMD GPU is descent
    -the CPU/GPU combo works nicely now, however what happens later in linux, when AMD decides to drop support, is anyone's guess
    - design is not so slim/slick
    Do you know that the CPU/GPU combo works nicely with Kubuntu? Or with Suse Enteprise linux? Have you been able to test it, or do you have other evidence?

I think it is not a major problem, if later versions of Kubuntu won't work well with the AMD graphics, because you can run 12.04 until April 2017

To summarize: If you know or can check that the CPU/GPU combo works nicely with Kubuntu, I would recommend the HP ProBook.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jaweinre View Post
    Check this review of the HP:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-...k.87595.0.html

Probook is of much higher build quality than the inspiron (and thus more expensive), it's got vga out too if you need that. Its CPU is sadly not pretty good in terms of speed or power consumption (35W TDP compared to 17W TDP from the i3-3217U on the inspiron, the "U" stands for ultra low voltage). I'm assuming the greater power draw is solved with a larger (and heavier) battery on the HP?.
    yeah could be that they have stronger battery because of that. as long as the CPU can handle office work, browsing, videos, pictures, skype and perhaps winxp+virtual box+MS office it is good enough. i know i5 would be better for power,performance etc. but they are way more expencive (and often windows preloaded here). and if you do not need more power then there is no reason to spend money to get it.
    edit:just found out - i5 and A8 are actually still available with no OS, however they are still about 90, 100 EUR more expencive. one can get a new printer for that money.

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    according to a web page there is HDMI output. It is correct, if so, can you use that instead?
    Would need to buy an HDMI->VGA adapter. just adds to the cost (30 EUR a pop). hm.. they sell a 17" one for that kind of price beside you could add more ram for 30 EUR to HP mashcine.

VGA is needed to connect older 17" LCD to it as well as if any presentations are made (most projectors arround here are VGA input only)

Do you know that the CPU/GPU combo works nicely with Kubuntu? Or with Suse Enteprise linux? Have you been able to test it, or do you have other evidence?
    Suse Enterprise Linux comes preloaded on laptop by HP. So i guess it should work. then again i could order it, test it and if it's no good send it back for a refund. at the moment i also do not know if HP added some other tools on this Linux based laptop that they have in windows. i think they have some facial recognition software and such on windows version of this laptop. though i don't think that is really necessary.
    Ubuntu is preloaded on the Dell. But i guess if the build from HP is better then HP would be better choice.

I think it is not a major problem, if later versions of Kubuntu won't work well with the AMD graphics, because you can run 12.04 until April 2017
    yes with 12.04 it would not be an issue it seems. Though 14.04 should probably get driver for this chip as well. but then again you never know. this CPU/GPU is not latest&greatest

estimated time of use is about 5-6 years.

we might still go for desktop (custom built). we will see what is decided. i just needed some opinions. especially since i haven't followed hardware development in a long time.

Also the user will have to decide on OS as well. IMO Linux will be suitable for their needs.
    Last edited by mastablasta; June 4th, 2013 at 10:03 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I bought a second-hand HP recently, which I am happy with. You are probably living in another country, but there might be similar companies offering second-hand professional quality computers for a decent price. My son is dual booting it with Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS and Windows 7. There is no proprietary driver and it plays 1080p video well. But he uses Windows most of the time

It was similar to this one (but has 8 GB RAM and no optical drive, and AMD graphics chip with 1600x900 screen).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

that person won't take second hand. they would rather not have it. thy used ot have second hand things but mostly caused them "pain and suffering" so they avoid them to the max.

it's a good thing you have a company selling that kind of things. i don't think anyone is doing it here. i mean we have online auction sites and people sell this stuff themselves. but no company does it. well only used cars maybe. used cars are good business it seems.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think the main business for such companies is to take care of the old computers of companies and other organisations and wipe the disks in a certified manner. The second hand market is a by-product, but it's good if a computer can get a second life instead of being scrapped after 2-3 years.