Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Presenting a Ubuntu-based distro with MATE desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Presenting a Ubuntu-based distro with MATE desktop

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    It already is available for Ubuntu. He wants an installer that uses it as default (along with gdebi, which is in the Ubuntu repos but not installed by default, and MDM, the Mint Display Manager.)
    Ya know, that could be done via a post-install shell script. MATE is dead simple to install on Ubuntu: Add one line to sources.list, execute 3 commands in the terminal. Logout. Log in on MATE. (MATE on 13.04 looks pretty good.)

Beans

A quick but likely unpopular response:
    Linux Mint is based off of Ubuntu, therefore Mate desktop environment is already available as a distribution via Linux Mint (Mate).
    Just an FYI

Or you could always go to the Mate official site for linux distrubution specific installation instructions (Via the console apt or a gui such as Synaptic Manager/Debian Package Manager)
    Last edited by jerryzambrano; June 10th, 2013 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Editing URLs

Beans

Copper Bezel: Aha. I understand. Then, perhaps the best advice is to be patient? Prep the distro, keep it maintained, groom the DM & DE (refining, etc.) and wait? If MATE really is as good as he believes, then it's guaranteed to catch on; it's just a matter of people discovering it &/or telling others about it.

vinniciusx: Tell ya' what, mate... I'll go to my 'Untu v12.04.02 OS, & check for MDM. If I find it, I'll install it & check it out. If I like it, I'll come back here & say so.

Update, 130612:
    I couldn't find Mate or MDM in Synaptic, so I'll need to see if the Mate home page has what I need for testing the Mate desktop.
    Last edited by scruffyeagle; June 13th, 2013 at 05:23 AM.
    "That's my motto - a place for everything, and everything all over the place!"
    -- From an old comic I once saw.--

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12