Thread: HOWTO : copy commonly pasted text with keyboard shortcuts

Beans

HOWTO : copy commonly pasted text with keyboard shortcuts

Do you ever get tired of typing out the same old text over and over again ? There's a relatively easy way to assign keyboard shortcuts which will copy your commonly used text to the clipboard for pasting.
    First, make sure xclip is installed:
    sudo apt-get install xclip
    Then create a script with the following:
    #!/bin/bash
    echo $1 | xclip -selection "clipboard"
    and save as "copytoclipboard" in your home directory. Then ensure file is executable by right-clicking file in your file explorer -> Properties -> Permissions

Then, in CompizConfig -> Commands you should be able to assign a command such as: "./copytoclipboard iwannapastethis" and assign it to a keyboard shortcut if you are using Unity, then when you paste anywhere the text should show up. (This worked for me versions back, but it needs testing).

If you, like me, are using Gnome3 based systems, then instead of using Compiz you will need to use the System Settings->Keyboard->Shortcuts to assign the command. I found creating multiple entries and using Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F1, Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F2, etc. to be useful, then I wrote which text is which onto my keyboard.

Hope you find this useful
    Last edited by playful_geometer; June 2nd, 2013 at 06:56 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO : copy commonly pasted text with keyboard shortcuts

Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V ???
    please stick to the facts and be kind.
    what else can you do when you don't know each other.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . my avatar

Beans
    Hidden!

Or what about aliases? Only work in terminal, I agree, but your examples were both for terminal.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Hidden!

is OP talking about something like parcellite or glipper?
    please stick to the facts and be kind.
    what else can you do when you don't know each other.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . my avatar