Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Monitor

Beans

Problem with Monitor

I have picked up some type of virus which has changed the way I am able to view the pixels of my monitors. I run the 64bit Ubuntu 12.1. I have tried every resolution setting combination on 4 different monitors from a 32 inch (which worked just fine prior to this problem) to this tiny 17 inch monitor. The look of the monitors is very fuzzy and makes it seem like you are wearing a pair of glasses prescribed for someone else. It is very nauseating. I believe it was from downloading free art but could be from web browsing or maybe inspecting elements of how other have set up websites. I have more than 20 sites I have built or am in the process of building of which I am handling.

After 5 days of trying to solve this problem I suspect that it has something to do with the video card input (maybe).

One of the monitors said you do not have the correct graphic or video input (or something like that) to run this monitor. I have a brand new computer t-seris Azrock motherboard with 32 gig DDR3 ram, with AMD A4-3400 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics × 2 processor, 2 gig sparkle PCIe 2 video card and 2 terra byte hard drive with 650 power supply. So it has plenty of computer to do what is needed. I have tried every setting combined with every setting on every monitor. I have tried HDMI connection and VGA connection with all of the computers and all of the monitors on my network.

I worked with CenturyLink for over an hour ( finally got someone in the U.S. after being routed through the Phillippines for more than an hour) and I have worked with the guy who build the computer for over 3 hours to solve this problem to no avail.

My monitor worked great for over 3 months then one day all 3 computers in my office went to this odd and very problematic pixelated look 5 days ago. It is like being seasick using this computer.

It has affected every monitor on my network including my older XP Pro system.

By the way I really like Unbutu. I very much rely on my computer to make a living so I need to fix this problem.

One thing to note is it always says "graphics- unknown".

Mike Peterson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Problem with Monitor

So...wait...what kind of virus could you have picked up that would have affected both 12.10 and XP systems?

Is this a problem all the time, or just when you're viewing websites?

Where does it say "graphics- unknown"?
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

That "graphics unknown" is a well-known bug with System Info -- so you can ignore it. IF the system didn't recognize your graphics card and/or monitor, you would be seeing a blank, black screen, not a desktop.

Bad graphics on one PC, when seen both in Linux and in Windows, is often an indication of a bad card -- even though this is new, it could still be bad.

Fuzzy graphics can be simply the use of the wrong refresh rate.

I can't conceive of a "virus" that would cause this kind of problem -- especially one that affects both Linux and MS Windows.

You're saying EVERY monitor on EVERY PC is doing this? OR, only every monitor you hook up to THIS PC?
    Ubuntu 15.04 Mate, Mint 17.1; MS Win 8.1, Win10 TP.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is it possible this problem is caused by an inconsistency in the power coming in? (If, for example, it's not the 60 or 50 Hz it's supposed to be...)

Beans

How would I know how many Hz are coming into my system and how do you change that if it were the case. And why would it effect every monitor in the office. I thought maybe it might have something to do with the router but I was on the phone with the Centurylink IT guys for over an hour. They checked the gigs coming into the box 20 gigs of download speed. We tried every place in the XP to change the monitor settings to no avail.

I have switched all monitors and all settings in each computer and by running hitman, essentials, auslogic and none were of any help. I have tried restoring the XP to a earlier setting 3 times again to no avail. In the ubuntu I have tried all settings in display, appearance, brightness, and color. Nothing has worked it still looks as though I am looking through someones prescription glasses. And I can only look at this for less than a few minutes.

These are the things that I have not ruled out. The power supply (but why all power supplies in all computers?), something that has effected the way the video cards tells the sytem how to display the dots on the monitors, the router (although the problem occurs even when the router is off and unplugged).

Things that I have ruler out: settings (I have tried for 6 days and have reset every possible setting in all 4 computers with all 5 monitors), the power to the computers ( I have tried the computers in other rooms and I have put a voltage meter on each outlets. The outlets are fine and the voltage is where I would expect it to be.)

I am still having the problem. Cannot wok on the computers. My next step is to remove all operating sytems sytems try to save files I believe are not contaminated and reinstall all programs. Seems like a lot of work but what is my oprions.

Mikep
    Last edited by mikep6321; June 5th, 2013 at 04:07 PM. Reason: typing

Beans

How do I know what is the right refresh rate? Where do I find the refresh rate? How does the refresh rate get changed on all computers?

Beans

Yes every computer (2 computers with ubuntu 12.1 and 2 computers with XP).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't know much about how monitors work, but I would imagine the actual refresh rate is affected by the cycles per second of the power in your office.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mikep6321 View Post
    ...My next step is to remove all operating sytems sytems try to save files I believe are not contaminated and reinstall all programs...
    Not necessarily the case.

Simply insert the Ubuntu DVD you originally used to install Ubuntu 12.10 and then reboot and select the "Try Ubuntu without installing" option. This will run Ubuntu as a "live" DVD without changing your HDD at all and will be using a "default" installation. See if the graphics look any better then. You may like to run the same live DVD on all the PCs you have that exhibit this problem (just make sure the BIOS boot-order is set to boot from the CD/DVD drive first). If you post back here with the results it may help us establish exactly what is going on.

ps. Welcome to Ubuntu forums and please appreciate that everyone here is just another user voluntarily offering help - that is how Linux support works.

Beans

I will reboot from DVD. Then let you know.
    Mikep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast