Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux Friendly Internet Bank in the UK?

Beans

Re: Linux Friendly Internet Bank in the UK?

yeah. I remember there being the Fraud Protection Promise or something along those lines on the website, which basically said if you are a victim of fraud because of using the internet bank service then you will be refunded. But the promise only applied if you are using a supported browser and OS. I'm not sure...seems a bit of a grey area

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Some Google searches suggest they might have tried to play it that way in the past, but as of now it seems like your money is covered as long as you comply with this and Section 3 of this.

What did they actually say when you contacted them? If there's any ambiguity in what they've said it definitely might be worth switching. You wouldn't want to have to take them to court to get your money back.
    Last edited by Paqman; June 2nd, 2013 at 11:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans

This is the message that they sent me

"If you were to use linux we would not be bale to give any support if the system wasn't working we would also not be able to cover you for any fraud that should occur on your account or your details being stolen."

Not very encouraging

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What do we mean by support? We have had this kind of discussion before. If a company does not have any staff trained on Linux or Ubuntu or Chrome, then it cannot offer support to those who have problems with that software.

I have not had any problems using Ubuntu and Chromium setting up and accessing accounts. I have just used Chromium to pay my Barclaycard bill out of my Natwest account. The money gets transferred across. The transactions are verified by Visa.

There is something that should be remembered: Just as we are in a contract with these Companies, so these Companies are in a contract with us. As they say to us: Terms and conditions apply. Your statutory rights are not affected.

I see this in the link provided above:

and that you take all reasonable measures to keep it virus free.
    So, that would ban all Windows users.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; June 4th, 2013 at 03:20 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The Co-Operative bank works fine for me using Firefox.

Beans

I am fairly confident that in spite of the disclaimer in post 14 nobody has been refused compensation for fraud based on having Ubuntu/Firefox.
    Bound to pass muster as a news item followed by a huge pile of stink on the bank for not having enough redundant layers of security to hand.
    I know it is not entirely the same but if Linux is good enough for the London Stock Exchange then the Banks should find it acceptable too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12