Thread: Arm fatigue - Trackball?

Beans

Arm fatigue - Trackball?

So I wondered about buying a trackball.
    - What is the learning curve like?
    - Is a proper trackball better or a trackball hybrid mouse?
    - What is a cheap (<$40 or are they more expensive?) yet sturdy model (available internationally) that you would recommend?
    - What are things that I should take note of before buying one?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: Arm fatigue - Trackball?

I'm currently using two Logitech® TrackMan® Wheel™ trackballs (one for my hot rod LinUX box, one for a hopped-up Asus® CM1630 running Microsoft® Windows® 7.0.8001) at my conputer station in Byron, CA, USA; I used to be in even tighter quarters at Bethel Island, CA, USA, where I hadn't space for a mouse. As I am considering several mechanical keyboards to replace one or both of my Logitech® Y-UV92's, I am considering a mouse to supersede one trackball, and Logitech® has a potential winning combination in the new G710+ keyboard (which packs a full bag of 110 Cherry® MX Brown™ DPST's) and G600 laser mouse, both of which are fully supported in Windows® 6.x/7/8 but will also run after a fashion in Ubuntu® (perhaps new tools will be available in time for the release of 13.10?).
    Gigabyte MA78GM-S2HP / AMD Athlon X2 5600+
    Audio: Creative Laboratoies SB0350 (PCI)
    Video: ATI Radeon HD 3200 (planar)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Arm fatigue - Trackball?

You might want to get rid of the Rs and TMs from your post, it reads like an advertisement.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

I have two logitech trackball mice and I love them both haven't gone back to a regualar since. I own the logitech m570 and the logitech t-rb22 and they are great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have this Logitech: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...FdBDMgodPEwAEQ

They make a cheaper wired one but I like the wireless one. A few years back a friend of mine was really into this kind of trackball; the thumb based ones, not the huge ball ones. We used to make fun of him at work but then I tried it and now I'm a convert too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

how about leap motion?: https://www.leapmotion.com/

though it might increase fatigue....+i am not sure it works in Linux

maybe voice commands...
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by DisappearingOak View Post
    So I wondered about buying a trackball.
    - What is the learning curve like?
    - Is a proper trackball better or a trackball hybrid mouse?
    - What is a cheap (<$40 or are they more expensive?) yet sturdy model (available internationally) that you would recommend?
    - What are things that I should take note of before buying one?
    1. Should be a dead easy learning curve. Depends on how stubborn your fingers are.

2. You'll want a trackball that has a middle click function. Not all do.

3. Matching the size of the trackball to your hand is probably a bit more important than with an ordinary mouse.

I'm using a Logitech MX518 at the moment, but have use a Logitech Trackball, which I bought specifically to deal with shoulder pain. That worked, once I found a comfortable location for the trackball.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I recently switched to the same make/model trackball as Jorge, On my setup, I was worried about the same thing as the op, but after using it for several weeks, I can honestly say that along with my Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 keyboard, I don't have any problems with either wrist.